Join now - be part of our community!

Mains socket on Vaio VGN-FW21E

Mik66
Visitor

Mains socket on Vaio VGN-FW21E

Has anyone had a problem with their mains power socket coming loose? I've had my laptop all of 3 months and I noticed a few days ago that the socket on the left hand side has some loose, and if I'm not careful it looks like it could easily snap off!! Before I try and get Sony to do something about this I'm curious to know if I'm alone in having this problem or if it's a design fault of the model.
Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Mik66 and welcome.

I haven't heard of this problem before on the FW-series - I think you have just been unlucky.

Contact Sony for a repair.

:slight_frown:

profile.country.en_GB.title
ggaffne
Explorer

Hi,

I consider it a design fault. My 21e has been repaired once already for this fault (on/off switch broke off) and the problems are surfacing again, this time not only the on/off switch is loose but also the power socket on the lefthand side is floating about and failing to charge.

Not a robust laptop, I preferred my old vgn-a197vp but it too didn't last (hinges broke and then the mainboard started playing up).

My third vaio laptop and last methinks 😞

profile.country.en_GB.title
sisnewi
Visitor

I have just repaired one of these for someone.  It had completely snapped off on the side where the power cable goes in.  I presume the power cable had been pulled at some time.

I had to take the back off the laptop (quite fiddly and time-consuming) and glue the power section in place with Epoxy Resin.  Then when it was dry I turned over the laptop and used more resin on the top (visible but not in the way).

I can see that this is DEFINITELY a design fault as the power cable section, and presumably the power button section on the other side, is only connected by a tiny piece of plastic.  There was no significant surface to glue so I had to use a blob of Epoxy Resin to strengthen it.