Join now - be part of our community!

Making a Media recovery disc

Whiteyd
Visitor

Making a Media recovery disc

Hi to you all, I'm a newbie.
Vaio VGN-FS515H. Dual layer DVD+-RW
Been trying to make media recovery disc but it keeps self ejecting at about 85% with "error on disc" before completion. Using DVD-R as per the manual. Any help please,-- ruined 4 discs so far.
Thanks.

22 REPLIES 22
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Whiteyd and welcome.

The Sony burners are notoriously sensitive to the types of discs being used.

Try DVD+R and stick to the better quality makes like Sony, TDK, Verbatim etc.

Also make sure you uninstall any virtual disc software (like Daemon Tools) which can interfere with the Recovery Partition.

:thinking:

Whiteyd
Visitor

Hi, Blencogo.
I've now used Verbatim DVD+R as you advised, and it worked perfectly.
many thanks for your help.
Whiteyd. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Good News Whiteyd

:slight_smile:

Whiteyd
Visitor

Hi again.
Just an obsevation, but the booklet advised that two blank discs would be required to complete the process, however, the wizard advised that it was completed successfully and only 3gb of one disc has been used.Is it just that disc space requirement varies from machine to machine ?
Thanks. :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

No - I am fairly sure you should have two DVDs.

DVD 1 is the System Disc which contains the OS, Drivers and Utilities

DVD 2 is the Application Disc and contains all the preinstalled software (Adobe Acrobat Reader, Click to DVD, DVGate Plus, Memory Stick Formatter, Norton Ghost (Try and Buy), Norton Internet Security, Norton Password Manager (Trial), Roxio DigitalMedia SE 7, SonicStage, Ultimaco PrivateDisk Easy, VAIO Media, VAIO Update, WinDVD for VAIO)

To see what you have on your disc, have a look at the contents in Windows Explorer: -

Disc 1 (System Disc) will have files Sony.i01, Sony.i02, Sony.i03, Sony.i04 and Sony.img

Disc 2 (Applications Disc) will have files Sony.pac, Sony2.pac and Sony3.pac

From memory, when in the Vaio Recovery Utility if you select to make a Media Recovery Kit you need to choose which disc you want to make. I think you need to make one disc and then select to make a second - it only makes one at a time. Perhaps you have omitted to select and burn the second disc?

Hope so!

:wink:

Whiteyd
Visitor

Hi Blencogo.
The disc I made, named itself RECOVERYDISC, and Contains 8 folders: APR, APR2, I386, RCD_CSTM, Sony, SUPPORT, Vaio Applications, VALUADD. None of the files are as you describe, but APR, & APR2 have sp---- pac (number) files.
Ive rechecked the manual and its description is similar to yours, naming up to 4 discs, also the wizard (I presume they are all the same?) gives only one option to create discs (from the recovery partition) and another different option to “recover your computer”with further options of its own (recover specific applications/create support folders) I guess something is not quite right.
I hope you can decipher this info’
Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Whiteyed,

I am confused. I think we need someone with an identical model who has a set of Recovery Discs so they can tell you how many etc.

Anyone with a FS515 out there?

You could phone Sony Support but it will be a premium phone line as you are out of warranty.

:smileyd_oh:

Whiteyd
Visitor

Hi Blencogo.
I will keep the “RECOVERYDISC” together with a Kaspersky ISO antivirus disc that I have made. I will also study some of the tutorials of how to make a “General” recovery disc, but at the moment they are a bit advanced for me. Meanwhile I will watch our thread to see if you get any response regarding you request.
Many thanks for your help. :slight_smile:
Regards.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Anyone with a FS515 out there? 

I have a couple of images from an earlier FS series recovery disc set if it helps..

Disc one - Auto named RECOVERYDISC (Recovery Disc) has 21 files and is 2.33GB

Disc two - Auto named RECOVERYDISC (application disc) has 8 files and is 2.17GB