Join now - be part of our community!

Microsoft Office license key gone after computer was repaired (replaced harddisk)

SOLVED
profile.country.da_DK.title
chrknudsen
Visitor

Microsoft Office license key gone after computer was repaired (replaced harddisk)

My girlfriend's one-year-old computer suffered a complete harddisk crash in December and we sent it in for repairs under the warranty. The repair process went smooth and fast. The repair consisted of replacing the harddisk and loading the factory version of Windows 7 Home Premium onto the new harddisk. However, the factory version loaded onto the harddisk does not have an activated version of Office, only the 60-days trial version. Her computer originally came with an activated version of Office. I've looked through all the papers and manuals that came with the computer (as well as on the computer's bottom) and have been unable to find the license key. Do the computers still come with a printed activation/license key, or has this been scratched along with reinstall DVDs in favor of the recovery partition?

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
chrknudsen
Visitor

It's a Sony Vaio VGN-FW51JF. But shortly after writing my post here, I realized that the license to Microsoft Office was of course bought from the retailer of the computer, not Sony. So we're currently checking to see if the license key to Office is on the receipt from the retailer -- if not, we'll just have to contact them. So, not really a Sony problem. :slight_smile:

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Exactly which model Vaio does she have?

I cannot think of any production models that come with an activated copy of MS Office - just the 60-day try and buy. 

Perhaps is was a CEO Customised Model which was personally configured with Office?

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi there

What version of Office did you have on it?

As far as I know Sony don't preinstall fully activated copies of Microsoft Office, rather office trials

or office starter 2010 (which doesn't expire but doesn't let you use the full features of the whole

Office Suite until you upgrade)

_____Curses Blencogo lol didn't see your reply

Message was edited by: jumpsuit

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Afternoon Jumpy!!!:smileylaugh:

chrknudsen
Visitor

It's a Sony Vaio VGN-FW51JF. But shortly after writing my post here, I realized that the license to Microsoft Office was of course bought from the retailer of the computer, not Sony. So we're currently checking to see if the license key to Office is on the receipt from the retailer -- if not, we'll just have to contact them. So, not really a Sony problem. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi Blencogo lol

Good thinking chrknudsen :slight_smile:

Hello,

I used the recovery procedure to restore my VAIO Model VPCYB2M1E - Serial No.27548192-5005315. To my surprise the Microsoft Office package which came with the laptop is lost.

The Product Key tag is wiped off - I can read  it since it is an old (4+ yrs?) but reliable laptop and I did not expect to ever need the Product Key until now - after the Windows 10 was loaded by mistake.

How do I go about the please?

YMshana