Join now - be part of our community!

Missing or corrupt NTFS.sys

secondmouse
Visitor

Missing or corrupt NTFS.sys

I've got the error "Missing or Corrupt NTFS.SYS" on my BX297XP.
This is nearly 2 years old bought from new. I don't seem to have any physical disks whatsover.
Stupidly I didn't create a recovery disk which according to the manuals I should have done. What are my options? There's a Sony centre near me which I can visit tonight but don't want to be charged a fortune.
Ideally I don't want to restore to factory settings as I will lose irreplaceable software.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi secondmouse,

You will need to borrow a XP Pro installation disc. Don't worry it's all legal - you are just going to use the disc to boot into the Command Prompt in the Recovery Console.

1. Insert the Windows XP CD into the computer and restart.
2. The Vaio should boot from the CD.
3. In the Windows XP setup screen press the 'R' key to run the Windows Recovery Console.
4. Enter your XP Administrator Password. If prompted enter the number of the Windows installation you're repairing.
5. At the command prompt type the command below followed by ENTER.

copy x:\i386\ntfs.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers

(replace x: with the letter of your CD-ROM drive)

6. If ntfs.sys is still on the computer you'll be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file. If prompted, press the Y key for Yes to overwrite the file.
7. Type exit and press enter
8. Once the file has been successfully copied remove the CD and reboot your computer.

Actually there is a copy of this file on your Vaio and if you have any problems copying the file try this command line instead: -

copy c:\windows\i386\ntfs.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers

Good Luck

secondmouse
Visitor

Okay thanks will try this as soon as I can get hold of one - have been let down thus far.
Looking at some of the other posts I see one can type PF10 after bootup - I wasn't aware of this
- was aware of PF2 - what screen does PF10 bring you into?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

F10 starts the Recovery Utility but only allows a complete restoration back to factory settings - you will lose all programs and data. Use this if you have no Recovery Discs and cannot boot into Windows.

Booting from the System Recovery Disc offers more options and allows you to just format and recover Drive C:\ in addition to a complete recovery.

Borrowing the XP disc is the only way to keep your data & programs.

The only alternative if you have important data, is to physically remove the hard drive and place it in a £25 caddy which connects to another PC by USB. Then when you have backed everything up, replace the drive and then use the Vaio Recovery Utility.

:slight_frown: