Join now - be part of our community!

MotionEye Webcam not detected

joshy2208
New

MotionEye Webcam not detected

Hi

I recently had to re-install windows 7 64-bit on my sony vaio VPCEE3E0E and now the webcam isn't working. It isn't even being detected in device manager (Not even as an unknown device).

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi joshy2208 and welcome to the Sony Users' Community.

The camera uses generic Windows drivers so it should work by opening an application like Skype and configuring the camera.

When you reinstalled Windows 7, did you use the Sony Recovery to reinstall the original OS?

If not and you installed a retail version of Windows, have you reinstalled the Sony Drivers and Utilities? 

If no. try installing the Sony Firmware Extension Parser (SFEP Driver) which you will find in the 'Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities' downloads section on the Support pages for your model here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VPCEE3E0E_WI/updates

:thinking:

joshy2208
New

I reinstalled a retail version of Windows and have tried to install the SFEP
Driver however the device manager doesn't show an unknown device for me to
apply the driver to
COLLASOUL
Explorer

I feel your pain do you know anything about vgnsz5xwnc running win 7 32 webcam

1983strat
Explorer

Sony Vaio SVE1512W1ESI webcam disappeared altogether, in Device Manager, there is no heading "imaging devices" click the camera tile and " to get started, connect a camera" . Only reason I checked the webcam, was because of an article I read about sony vaio webcams ceasing to work. Seems after updating to Windows 8.1 OS, quite a lots of people have the same problem, but Sony say it`s a hardware problem and want to fob you off to an approved Sony repair shop (at probably a rip off price. So much for Sony`s customer relations. I certainly rue the day I puchased this laptop.  There is an issue with the webcams, but without a serious outlay, no solution.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi 1983strat,

The case of the camera disappearing from Device manager can be a hardware failure but the following is worth a try:

Uninstall all devices under the Universal Serial Bus controllers in Device Manager (This includes any USB Mass Storage Devices, USB Host Controllers, and USB Root Hub) and then shut down, remove the battery, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds then reattach the battery and reboot.
Hopefully Windows will recognise these devices (including the camera) and install the necessary drivers.

A cheaper alternative to a repair, if it is a hardware problem, is an external USB camera.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
1983strat
Explorer

Thanks for your reply Rich, I`ll certainly give it a try and let you know the result.   Cheers P.

1983strat
Explorer

No joy, but thanks anyway Rich. Can`t believe the attitude of Sony relating to this particular problem. I`ve read hundreds of posts, all relating to the Vaio webcam, yet Sony distance themselves from the problem. Unreal.  P

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi 1983strat,

Sorry to hear that the above didn’t work.

Unfortunately the only way to be sure that the cause is an upgrade to 8.1 rather than a hardware issue is to restore to factory settings using either your set of recovery disks or the recovery partition on the HDD. This will of course delete all personal data and third party programmes so backup before proceeding if you choose this course of action.

Incidentally I assume that you followed Sony’s upgrade procedure and didn’t carry out a clean install of 8.1?

http://community.sony.co.uk/sonyeu1/attachments/sonyeu1/pc_en_1/132254/1/Windows%208_1Upgrade_EU.pdf

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat