Join now - be part of our community!

Mouse/Touchpad not working

mercurysony
Visitor

Mouse/Touchpad not working

My mouse/touchpad has stopped working. An external mouse works fine, any ideas on how to resolve. thanks

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

My mouse/touchpad has stopped working. An external mouse works fine, any ideas on how to resolve. thanks

Hi mercurysony,

Go to Device manager and expand the Mice and other pointing devices.
Does it list a pointing device, if not and a PS2 mouse is listed try the following.

For XP.

Right click once on PS2 mouse and select properties.

Select the 'Driver' tab and click on Update driver.

A new Hardware Update Window will appear, select Install from a list or specific location (advanced) and click next

The window now changes select 'Don't search I will choose the driver to install' and click next.

If 'Alps Pointing-device' (possibly Alps Pointing-device for Vaio) appears in the new window, select it and click next.. (if the 'Alps Pointing-device' does not appear in the list remove the tick from 'Show Compatible Hardware' and select Alps Electric from the Manufacturer column then 'Alps Pointing-device' (possibly Alps Pointing-device for Vaio) from the model column and then click next.

Wait for the driver to install then click Finish, a System Settings Change window should now appear prompting you to restart your Computer and click Yes to restart.....