Join now - be part of our community!

Moving the Programs File

FranzH
Visitor

Moving the Programs File

If i moved the Programs File from my C drive to D will everything work fine? Or will the programs start playing up?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

This depends on exactly what you mean by “move”. If you move any installed programs from the C:\ programs folder they will no longer work. If you move the entire Programs folder then the same applies.
If you install a new program and select a location on the D drive then all will be OK.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Yeah... umm.... don't mess with that. Anything your operating system requires to run is designated to c on installation and on startup so if it can't find it it will well not start up. It is a sensible practice to save all your 'document files' to the d drive however incase you need to reformat your c drive operating system but make a backup on a dvd of your recovery files which will be lost of your format c drive without a backup or it will cost ja #55 for a new recovery disk

FranzH
Visitor

Hmm ok, i was hoping it to be an easy way to move programs i have installed on C to the D to free a bit of space on C but it looks like ill have to uninstal them and reinstal them?

kee-lo_

You should really leave all programs on C and move documents and media to D

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

For most third party programs as long as the dive is specified and the location allocated during the installation there will be no problem. I accept that the ideal location for programs is C:\Programs, but when needs must….

I personally have a number of programs installed on the D drive and have never experienced any problems with them.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kee-lo_

I would never have < 15GB on C which is enough for Windows + programs I need

Games I have put on D in the past