Join now - be part of our community!

My Battery is charging no more then 80%

apox84
Visitor

My Battery is charging no more then 80%

Hello,
I have Sony Vaio VGN FW41e and today i saw that my battery is charging to 80% and after that it stops charging i remove the battery and put it again. remove the charger several times but it didn`t help. Could you give me some advice about this because i have no idea what is causing this.
Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.de_DE.title
itbroker
Visitor

Welcome to ClubVaio Apox84,

How old is your laptop?

The performance of batteries, especially if not cared for correctly, can degrade fairly quickly. You probably will have seen, before this happened, that the battery would only charge up to 90% then stop. Then it might only reach 80%, 70%, etc. until eventually it won't hold any charge. That process can take anything from a couple of months to a few years, but is obviously worse the older the battery is.

Did you "calibrate" the laptop battery properly as follows ?

1. Disable the Windows Power Management.
2. Fully charge the battery.
3. Fully discharge the battery. Just leave the laptop on until it dies, then keep pressing
power until it's fully dead.
3) Charge again.
4) Drain again.
5) Repeat one last time.

More or less batteries have internal "memory" that keeps track of how much energy they are able to hold. You need to train the memory in the beginning or else it will be less effective.

4. Keep the AC adapter connected to the notebook until the battery has completely charged.
5. Enable the Windows Power Management.

If you don't have the battery care function enabled, then it probably is a drain/discharge issue.

apox84
Visitor

Actually my laptop is only 2 months old so thats way i`m so confused why it happens. Do you advice me to do the above steps and to check whats going on

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi apox84,

Check your Battery Charge Settings in Vaio Control Center.

Click Start -> All Programs and scroll down to Vaio Control Center.

Expand Power Management and Click on Battery Charge Functions. On this Window you can disable the Battery Care Function or if you click the ‘Advanced’ button you can customise the settings.

If your notebook is generally used on AC power I recommend leaving the max. charge at 80%.

EDIT: If you would like to read the full thread that itbroker has copy/pasted from then have a look here...

http://www.trap17.com/index.php/Laptop-Battery-Charging_t67672.html

...but quite honestly I don’t think that is applies in your case.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi apox84,

I agree with Rich this is most likely the Battery Care Function setting.. :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
gaganjot
New

This is only because of battery care function. You need to turn off this feature from Vaio Control Center. Here is How To turn off battery care function.

nshalvat
New

The same thing is happening to me but my vaio is  about 6 years old.  This has just started happening in the last few weeks and now it is only charging to 70 percent.  Does this mean I need a new battery?