Join now - be part of our community!

My Sony can't see other computers on the same network.

bradscopegems
Visitor

My Sony can't see other computers on the same network.

My Sony FE41M T5500 laptop can be seen by the two other computers on my home network, but can't see them, and can't access the printer on the network. Have tried lowering the Firewall temporarily, with no success. Accesses the web perfectly well, using home wireless link. What can I do next? Am running Windows Vista.

5 REPLIES 5
danreed
Visitor

Can the other two computers see each other? The problem might not be with the laqptop, but with the other computers.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Are the Workgroup names IDENTICAL on all the PCs?

To check or change the workgroup name on a computer running Windows Vista:

• Click Start -> click Control Panel -> click System and Maintenance -> and then click System.

The workgroup name is displayed under Computer Name, Domain, and Workgroup Settings. To change the workgroup name, click Change Settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Are you using Norton?

You *MUST* add the network you are on to your trusted networks inside of Norton.

Open Norton. -> Select the Norton Internet Security Tab. -> Scroll down to bottom. -> Select the Internet Security and Firewall Options link. -> Select Trust Control. Locate your network and add to trusted.

Should be able to see the other computers on your network.

:wink:

EDIT: Almost forgot! Weclome to Club Vaio bradscopegems !!

:slight_smile:

bradscopegems
Visitor

Thank you wholeheartedly for this advice! :slight_smile: You were right: I needed to access the facility in Norton for getting a network (rather than just individual computers) into the trusted category. Solved a problem that had occupied three of us for several hours!

JimmyCC
Visitor

I have the same laptop, no problems.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Welcome to Club Vaio JimmyCC - hope you are enjoying your Vaio.

Very pleased you have sorted your network problem bradscopegems !!!!

:slight_smile: