Join now - be part of our community!

My VAIO dies slowly

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

My VAIO dies slowly

In a few months, my VAIO becomes 3 years
And the temperature problems rising more and more. Sometimes I have the feel that no fan works, in my VAIO. Only the one which was thought for the critical moment.
But this one alone is not enough. Temperature runs stable at 56°C. If I'm listen music, then I hit the 65°C. 5 more and it becomes critical for the P4(Northwood).

The strange thing is, it is only temporarly. Then it runs at the normal temperature of 45°C.:smileyconfused: I'm using RMClock now. I try to keep my CPU in DO NOT TOO MUCH mode. It seems to help a bit.

I start to think about a replacement. Nothing special. Just only for Internet, chating and things which doesn't need much CPU and graphics Power.
My first idea was the VIA embedded systems. The form factor of these boards is mini-ITX and nano-ITX.

But I'm open for all other ideas.:smileyhappy:

BTW: it has a bit time. I give my VAIO approx 1 year before I can't do anymore for it. But not more.:smileycry:

VIA EDEN N-Processor
VIA EDEN ESP-processor
VIA embedded

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Seb some advice mate.

1. Get some compressed air. KL knows the best online retailers.
2. Use it to blow out the fans at the back and on the bottom (yours is on the bottom right?)
3. If it IS out of warranty, and you fancy a fiddle around, then get a good guide to walk you through opening your VAIO but be bloody sure how it goes back together again!!!

Otherwise mate, an Intel Celeron processor is a great choice for chatting, internet surfing, emails, listening to music eyc, but your P4 is best for games and heavy use...

Best of luck.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Seb

Sounds like it needs a clean out.
I would recomend if you want a new laptop just for low CPU stuff then there's good ones in Aldi for around £500

seb21__
Visitor

Thanks guys.

I'm not a big fan of compressed air, but now it seems the only way. I already searched a way to open my VAIO. But I haven't found one. And I wouldn't like to make something wrong, because it's my only PC at home.:smileywink:

I haven't thought about a inexpensive laptop. I'm too much impressed about build-quality of my VAIO (If we don't talk about temperature)
I thought more about a small desktop system. Like MiniMAC or something like that. But I'm a bit unsure with Apple since they want insert Intel CPUs in there low cost products.:smileyconfused:

Celeron sounds good to me. But I could get a faster AMD for same price.
I thought about VIA, because I use my VAIO mostly for Internet and chatting. And VIAs CPU needing really little energy. Which means, I would safe a lot energy cost. That what I do in Photoshop could handle a VIA CPU too.

kee-lo_

How about a computer hoover?

seb21__
Visitor

computer hoover? mmh.

I use a normal one. It helps, but only temporarly. Seems that I must live with it.:smileybeat_up: I hope that I can buy a new PC next year.:smileycool:

kee-lo_

Yeah there's a guy selling them on eBay

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I took the `bull by the horns¿ a couple of weeks ago and used a standard vacuum cleaner on my notebook vents ¿ result is a reduction of 5 deg average temperature! Now running generally at around 54 deg C with a max of 60.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kee-lo_

That's pretty good.

Do you remember that guy who took out a mustache from his back vent?