Join now - be part of our community!

My Vaio has a black screen problem!!!!

profile.country.en_GB.title
jungletrekker
Visitor

My Vaio has a black screen problem!!!!

Im writing from Malaysia and have already posted this question months ago - thanx for the tips and advices.

I sent my Vaio to Sony Malaysia and they replaced the Inverter - but it went black again. I re-sent the Vaio again to them and they sms me that its the fault of the LCD screen and wanted to charge me about GBP 350 o which I replied to them that I have posted this problem to many forums including this Sony UK forum with everyone suggesting that I use an external monitor to iff it was really the LCD problem or something else.

The same problem persisted when I used an external problem and I informed the local Sony people about it of which they later informed me that they had finally found the problem - the  LCD harness! Alas... the same problem occurred and now they have informed me thati t was indeed the LCD screen problem!!!

When I reminded them that expertise advices from many forumers cannot be wrong  the local Sony Malaysia people said that I should not believe the advices from the experts in forumers.

After charging me for the inverter...the LCD screen harness and the time , money and effort going back to the local Sony Malaysia office....I am back to square one now.

I would still ask around the Net for advices as I really do not trust the technical people in Sony Malaysia!!!

So tell me...what is really wrong with my Vaio VGN A517S? The screen flickers before going black with the OS running and I can still hear Avast updated!!!!

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
simbaron2
Visitor

If when you plug a second monitor in and it also fails it is not likely to be the inverter as that normally sits the other side of vga socket.

If you have the laptop you can make sure the inverter is sat properly by taking the cover off the screen and unpluging the inverter and makign sure the contacts are well seated, at the same time using the correct cleaning product you can clean the contacts.

If the second monitor does not diplay then try rolling back the graphics driver, also if it has its own graphics card it also my not be sat properly and causing an issue.

if none of that works then it could be the LCD backlight, which can usually be checked in a very dark room to see it the monitor displays a dim but steady image.

A new LCD screen is a easy job and will cost around £50-£100 GBP

If i had paid for work that hd not fixed the fault i would be asking for a refund.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Im writing from Malaysia and have already posted this question months ago - thanx for the tips and advices.

Here is a link to your original question - Vaio VGN A517S black screen with windows running HELP!