Join now - be part of our community!

My VAIO Nightmare

Fishface
Visitor

My VAIO Nightmare

I own a VGN-TZ11XN I decided to use the Vaio recovery utility because it would not shut down properly and I could not use Windows explorer or the internet. Whatever disks I tried to use to make a recovery disk the machine kept saying they were not the right type or they were not blank, both lies. So I backed up my files to a hard disk and went through the process of reinstalling the operating system after following all the instructions I am unble to recover any of my files from the hard disk on which I stored them using the Vaio software. I did all the virus tests,scans and had all the software to prevent trojans etc but now in spite of all that I can restore my data. I feel like throwing this lump of plastic up the garden and stamping on it.

1 REPLY 1
thu2000
Visitor

I can feel your pain, Brother :slight_smile:

The Vaio´s refusal to burn data on CDs/DVDs might indicate a problem with the built-in burner, which can always happen... although I would agree that it *shouldn´t* happen on such an expensive kit of "premium" hardware.

What I don´t quite get is the "Vaio software you used to back up you data" thingie. Are you referring to Norton Ghost or something? Why didn´t you just copy all your files and data over to the new harddrive by simply using Windows Explorer?

I´m not a big fan of those Disk Imaging Tools. The best way to back up one´s data is to use the old-fashioned "Click it and drag it to that other disc" method, IMHO. Disk Imaging Tools won´t even save a lot of storage space, since most of the to-be-saved data is probably encoded and compressed anyway (mp3s, jpegs etc.).

So again what software did you exactly use to back up your data?

Cheers and good luck.....