Join now - be part of our community!

New Firmware in December...

nemo66
Visitor

New Firmware in December...

BRAVO SONY!!!

I was right....mid december SONY will release a new firmware for the Pocket Vaio.(as of news in club-vaio)
Included are native mp3 support, faster scrolling,picture wallpaper and many more enhancements.Exactly 34 updates/enhancements are in the new firmware.

Now WE ARE BETTER THAN iPod !!!

:smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin:

75 REPLIES 75
DrMojo
Visitor

errr - please humour me and clear up a few questions i have about this pocket business.

will this update mean that i can transfer mp3 files onto the pocket and off to other sources without any copyright messages giving me grief? i believe that sonys copyright obsessions have made life difficult for users wanting flexibility with legally bought cds in the past.

also, i want a player that i can use to download photographs onto when i am out and about. i have just moved to tokyo for work, and i will want to put movies and pictures from my cybershot camera onto it to clear my memory stick so that i can reload and be good to go, especially when i am travelling about. lugging a huge laptop about with me doesnt appeal too much! if so, how does it work? will i need my cameras usb lead or something?? (hope not - i left it in england as my vaio has a memory stick slot).

also, does the player have some kind of memory stick slot too? i doubt it, but it would be cool.

please let me know, because i was going to buy the ipod photo as a christmas treat, but the battery life stinks on those puppies, so ive heard.

can ye give me the facts on this piece of kit?

mojo

p.s. i assume that there is multi language support on it like the ipod. my japanese isnt that good, and id have to get one over here.

p.p.s. am i right in thinking that it doesnt play back movie clips? the ipod photo doesnt, either, if im correct. also, what do you ppl think of those archos players?

cheers

kamtung
Visitor

You should be able to transfer mp3s natively to the Vaio Pocket, but we'll have to see when the firmware comes out (either today or tomorrow). The Sony Vaio Pocket allows you to download pictures from digital cameras, or USB mass storage devices. Basically, it acts as a USB host and downloads all pictures from it. So if you have a memory stick reader, it should work after connecting it to the Vaio Pocket dock.

The Vaio Pocket has various language support - 5/6 in the European version, I think. I'm not sure about the Japanese versions though. I'm not sure which DSP chips Sony is using (probably Sony ones), but I've heard that it's theoretically possible for the Vaio Pocket to play very short video clips, maybe less than 16MB. The algorithm would have to be software written, and it's really up to Sony to do it..

Archos players are okay but feels more like a toy.. Too much plastic, and the battery life is quite bad too, about 12 hours max. The iPod photo has about 13 hours of battery life for music, 5 hours on slideshow. The Vaio Pocket as 18 hours of battery life for music, 8 for slideshow. :slight_smile:

Cheers.

nabilxp
Visitor

tomorrow never die :devil:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

:laughing: We'll see :laughing:

nabilxp
Visitor

:cry:

Thorin
Visitor

Where have all the firmwares gone....?:smileycry:

Thorin

nemo66
Visitor

-it´s on the way...i just saw it!
:smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin:

kamtung
Visitor

You just saw it? What do you mean? Well it's the middle of December now (pretty much) and no firmware yet.. Sigh..

twim
Visitor

Still waiting...

micthegreek
Visitor

can't wait to get this firmware!!!! Hope Sony won't wait much longer to release it. I've been waiting long enough :slight_frown: