Join now - be part of our community!

New graphics drivers and HDMI firmware for VGX-XL available

ITTroll
Visitor

New graphics drivers and HDMI firmware for VGX-XL available

There is a new update called "HDMI Software 071025" available from the Support pages. This packages includes Sony modified nVidia drivers v156.65 and a HDMI firmware update for the 7600GT-L.

Make sure you download the right one as there are b and c variations depending on your VAIO model.

Edit: Just realised that b is for XP and c is for Vista.

6 REPLIES 6
ITTroll
Visitor

OK a little more about this update.

071025b is for VGX-XL100 and VGX-XL20x using XP
071025c is for VGX-XL30x using Vista

You have to install the included nVidia drivers v156.65 before you can perform the firmware update. If you try to update the firmware without the driver it errors.

This means that Sony have not provided a package to updated the firmware if you are running Vista on the XL100 or XL20x. In order to update mine I modified the 071025c driver installer so it would run on the XL201. The firmware update process was then successful.

Strangely, Sony are recommending that once you update the firmware you roll back the driver to the older v98.13 rather than keep v156.65. I'm not sure why that is.

In summary, don't bother unless you have an issue with HDMI.

ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

Hello Mr Troll,

Are there any improvements to the method for switching between Nvidia display modes, so that i may for instance switch between HDMI LCD and Component projector in an efficient manner?

Thanks for the heads up about the driver.

Chalky

ITTroll
Visitor

The v156.65 drivers do have a better Control Panel than the v98.13 but I don't know if it would make for a more efficient switch. It is not something I need to do with my setup.

tajw
Visitor

I run vista on a xl100 - I would be interested on how you tweak the install file to get round sony's lack of Vista support on older machines

ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

Bear in mind that although this update has not affected my system, the HDMI firmware upgrade 2.6 was older than that already installed on my machine 2.7

GavMack
Visitor

I had problems with my 301 with no sound after sleep connecting via HDMI to my Bravia 32V2500 and this appears to have fixed it downgrading from 2.7 to 2.6. The newer driver couldn't resize the HDTV desktop like my self hacked 163.69 version (which still takes a couple of restarts and persistance in the Nvidia control panel to eventually bring up the Nvidia resize screen!) It's dropped the resolution to 1222 x 692 for a proper sized desktop but not ideal for dedicated PC use. I've lost count of the number of times I've regretted not putting DVI/VGA plus audio cables along with HDMI when I was chasing the cabling into my fireplace :worried: