Join now - be part of our community!

New Laptop AR21S T7200 Windows XP Media

edwjava
Visitor

New Laptop AR21S T7200 Windows XP Media

Just one week old but developed a problem with the keyboard. The BACKSPACE and SHIFT keys function normally on battery power, but give spurious characters when connected to the power supply. These keys function differently (and correctly) when in Media Centre when connected to the power, and when operating on battery power. Anyone able to advise how to restore normal behaviour for these keys?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Sirnig
Visitor

Just one week old but developed a problem with the keyboard. The BACKSPACE and SHIFT keys function normally on battery power, but give spurious characters when connected to the power supply. These keys function differently (and correctly) when in Media Centre when connected to the power, and when operating on battery power. Anyone able to advise how to restore normal behaviour for these keys?

Thanks

Hi! Sorry to learn of your problem which seems very odd indeed. I have been using my AR21S since last October and have never experienced the problem you describe and I use it continually on mains, not battery.
Asssuming no malware or virus corruption, I suspect some critical system file (e.g. a keyboard dll) has become trashed somehow. Have a look at the 310747 Microsoft KB article for the SFC command which when run will scan all protected system files and replace incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. To use, go to Start/Run and type in "cmd" (without quotes) then in the command window type in "sfc /scannow" (no quotes, and note the space before /)then hit the enter key. Be prepared for a very long wait (maybe 1 hour plus?) as the OS checks every file on its system. Afterwards, completely shut down and reboot up the computer.
Hope this might help. Good luck!

skykit84
New

Thanks

Hmm, a week old, I wouldnt bother with the hassel and send it back
Thats if its a manufacturer defect... if its software issues then a replacement would have the same issue I guess

edwjava
Visitor

Thanks for the suggestions.

The keyboard is still malfunctioning after I restored the machine to original spec using the VAIO Recovery Tool. Consequently, it is a mechanical-related problem.

As a final check, I am running the sfc /scannow utility as I write this. Fingers crossed for success. If not, I will want to replace the machine rather than go through the hassle of seeking to repair it.

I haven't had a reply from my post to VAIO e-support; so that route doesn't appear to be very helpful. I bought the machine from Heathrow duty free and returning it to the retailer is not a practical option. So, I'm a bit stuck on ideas right now...

Regards