Join now - be part of our community!

newbie vaio owner q's!

gpig
Visitor

newbie vaio owner q's!

right then, have been a mac user for years, and dislike windows intensely, but the current apple laptops aint that great til the intel chip models come out, and i heard that apple had been head hunting vaio engineers for the next gen of apple laptops.

so put 2 and 2 together and came up with a fs215z at a hell of a lot less than an equivalent powerbook 15" plus its a TV!!!!

so far so good, the screen is incredible, i'm a designer, and it's handled everythng i've thrown at it without missing a beat. Also it runs battlefield 2 in standard config, (though when im a bit more flush will upgrade the ram to 1gb).

just have a couple of q's:

1. every now and again the screen (mebbe once a day or so) will flash white for a when im using the machine micro second and then be ok, other than that the screen is perfect should i be worried?

2. love the whole vaio launcher thing, but can i set up he remote control to work the 'pc' bit as i would like to be able to access realplayer so i can listen to the radio over the internet, without having to budge from the other side of the room?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Where did you hear this about VAIO engineers?

The screen flickering needs to be looked at, it's a very common issue at the moment (god knows why)

Vas
Visitor

Where did you hear this about VAIO engineers?

I've heard it too. I think I read it in engadget couple of weeks ago
It's funny isn't it when you think about it? but Apple will still keep their "design"

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

I agree with Kee-Lo here, the screens module for backlighting (the inverter) sounds dodgy and should be looked at sooner rather than later.

Another fault is that it can flicker badly if the screen is moved when on, and it may fail on startup leaving you with a barely visible screen - until you press CTRL+ALT+DEL that is.

Sony will accommodate your repair request and try to work around your schedule. In my experience, it is best to ring VAIO-Link first, and then follow the progress of the case using e-support.

Good luck, and I hope the screen gremlin disappears.:smileygood_luck:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Very ironic if you ask me, I think Apple are heading rather towards PC than being individuals, which is sad