Join now - be part of our community!

Norton Anti Virus

Akanksha
Visitor

Norton Anti Virus

I upgraded my Vaio PCV-V1 to service pack 2 and it seems like it was a Pandora's box of troubles.
So, here I go:
1. I couldnt access the internet, because of a rule setup in the firewall, which clashed with the Windows firewall and I blocked some connection on UDP. This I checked on the log for Norton Internet Security. And then, I cannot find a way to undo this. So I cannot access the internet while the Firewall is switched on.
2. So I decide to completely remove the firewall and restart it again.
3. It asks if I want to install Anti-virus, thinking that it may re-install Norton Anti-virus I just say NO. So ignoring my intelligent thinking, the computer UNinstalls the Norton Anti-virus.
4. By this time, I am full-up with the glitches and decide to do a system restore. Doesnt help because the Anti-virus is still off and so the firewall cannot be helped.
5. Tried using the system recovery disk, but does it help? NOPE!

What shall I do? Without having to erase my hard disk and re-doing the whole thing?

8 REPLIES 8
TygerTyger
Visitor

Switch Windows Firewall off completely, and just use your Norton firewall. Firstly Windows firewall is pretty useless all truth be told, and secondly you should never use any two firewalls at the same time, as they conflict.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi Akanksha :slight_smile:

I would turn off the Windows firewall as Tyger said, reinstall Norton Anti Virus and Internet Security.

Personally I'd do away with both of them and use AVG and Zone Alarm. They're a great pair.

TygerTyger
Visitor

But stick to versoin 4.5 of Zonealarm. 5.0 and upwards are badly bugged.

kee-lo_

5 works good here

TygerTyger
Visitor

5.0+ causes lag spikes in online games. You should see their forums lol they have more unhappy people than here thats for sure......

kee-lo_

Well that would explain it LOL, I don't play games online.

Akanksha
Visitor

Well I did what a Sony Technician would have told me, back-up and do system restore!
I was suggested AVAST as internet security and firewall. Coz, despite having Norton Antivirus I have lost the subscription key..
So If I decide to go with the AVG or Zone Alarm..will I need to uninstall norton? and possibly fidget with the registry and all that, right? Will I need to pay as well or use download.com?

kee-lo_

All you would need to do is uninstall Norton, download ZoneAlarm and AVG (both free) and install.