Join now - be part of our community!

NR38S Windows 7

CRuth
Visitor

NR38S Windows 7

This is my daughter's Vaio.
We have a Windows 7 upgrade disc bought under the M$ education upgrade programme, it gives students the upgrade for a fraction of the price. Before buying we ran upgrade advisor and it told us all OK. Now that we have it, we find that there are no drivers for NVidia on Sony so it advises against the upgrade. No help from Sony. The Windows 7 upgrade wants to wipe the hard drive rather than doing an upgrade install.
We have several drives and a full image back up.
Normally, I would just install a new hard drive in the laptop and start afresh - clone the old disc if I need to validate the existing o/s for the upgrade. Normally I would not be working wth a Sony machine so installing a drive is dead simple - one screw to release the drive caddy - and it's all in the manual. All that I can find in our Sony manual is a note on upgrading memory and advice that I will invalidate the warranty if I try.
On another forum I found a link to a Sony page with graphic card drivers but I get "access denied" when I follow it.
When I try this forum one of the fiest messages I see is that the search tool had a problem and Sony as disabled the search tool on the forum.
Can anyone tell me whether I am just wasting my time trying to get Windows 7 on the NR38S and how I would swap the hard drive before starting to give myself a safe fall back position?
(It's not the software side that's a problem just how we physically open the box without doing damage - as it does not appear to be the usual arrangement of a readily acessible drive caddy.)

0 REPLIES 0