Join now - be part of our community!

Old desktop

profile.country.GB.title
OMEGAMAN
New

Old desktop

A little bit annoyed that my desktop which is working perfectly and has been well looked after seems to have to be thrown in the trash, as as far as i can see every one said i need to buy a new one with windows 10 on it as mine will not work properly? any one had any good or fair results from windows ten on a desktop about 10 years Old.I have had all the answers about i should have changed it ages ago, But didn't.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi there,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

I would recommend getting in touch with the Sony Support team for further help here.

Best wishes,

Sean 

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You don’t give us much information unfortunately.

Before anyone can help we need the Vaio model, the operating system etc. Many older desktops should be capable of running Windows 10 as they are less dependent on driver support than laptops but without knowing the specifications of your PC it is difficult to say.

I guess it is running Windows 7 for which Microsoft is withdrawing support early next year. Is this the reason you think your PC is obsolete? As you say, the Microsoft offer of free Windows 10 for all Windows 7 users expired some time ago and buying a genuine version is going to cost £160. Many people did not take up the free offer and find themselves in a difficult position of paying to update an older PC or buying a new one.

Of course your PC will continue to work perfectly well with Windows 7 and for most home users the risk is small that the lack of updates makes the PC vulnerable, specially if you have good firewall/antivirus/antimalware protection -  but it is a risk.

profile.country.GB.title
OMEGAMAN
New

Had a chat with Sony and was told my desktop was not comparable for Windows 10, very disappointed  as its never let me down and still works well,

profile.country.GB.title
piratapirata

hi, thats what they told me and so did microsoft but when i upgraded to windows 10 from 7 all it did was reduce the resolution to the point that i felt it was 1990. the solution was a new graphics card which was soooo easy to do and at £35 cheap. i did lose media center but regained the tv card thru separate software install. I have a 2006 vaio vgc rc202 for the record and i am planning to upgrade the hard drives for around £40-£55. I've also got a few projects to upgrade it for fun, eg 4 extra usb3.0 and bluetooth. Good luck

profile.country.GB.title
marc141
Explorer

Hi there.

During this awful time, I decided to dig out my old RC202.

I've managed to upgrade it to W10 and have upgrade the Nvidia 6600 graphics card.

The only problem is, W10 (and W7) is now not detecting my sound card.

Any idea which manufacture's website I should visit to try and update the driver? I also get a silly message about IDT codec not being installed as well.

Any ideas?

Lastly, I'm going to upgrade it 4GB. I know it states that it cannot exceed 2GB, but I read somewhere that the Intel Prague motherboard should be ok with 4GB. Again, any comments on that?

Thank you all.

Marc.