Join now - be part of our community!

Old motherboard and memory card!!

Sabi
Visitor

Old motherboard and memory card!!

Hi All;

I have a PC with old motherboard which has no memory card slut but 2 USB ports at the back (already being used)
I want to download and view some pics from a memory card.

Does anyone know how to do that? Do I need particular software or a device to link to the motherboard for memory card? If so what is it called and where do I get it from in UK?

By the way I useWindow XP

Thanks a lot

Sabi

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

All you need is this

robpaxton
Explorer

You need a USB memory card reader - make sure you get one that will read your type of card as there are about half a dozen different types of memory card. Have a look at places like www.crucial.com/uk www.amazon.co.uk and www.savastore.com

If you dont want to disconnect one of your other USB devices then you'll need either a USB hub or an extra PCI USB card. If you have a spare PCI slot available then I'd go for the PCI card as you'll find that you will get a high speed card very cheaply.

Sabi
Visitor

Kee-lo and Rob;

Thank you so much for your useful and prompt replis.

I have two different memory cards!
The one from my digital camera is "SD" and short in size.
The other one from my camcorder is "S10" and longer.

Do I need to have two "USB Memory Card readers" or is there a compatible one for both?
Also do I need a software to download the pics from memory cards?

Thanks again.

Sabi

robpaxton
Explorer

No shouldn't need two readers, just get a one like the 8 in one reader on http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.asp?imodule=CTR8ACPU2&cat= although you'll have to check the S10 card as it's not a card I've ever heard of.

You can copy, print, and view your images with Windows XP so you don't really need any software.

Sabi
Visitor

Hi Rob;

The "S10" was written on the memory card from my Sony camcorder. However I looked in the manual and found N50 in Memory Stick section!! Does it make more sense?

As you can guess, I am not a computer expert and my knowledge is limited :slight_frown: but I am learning a lot from you guys. Thanks :slight_smile:

So can I run this through with you again: do I need to buy two things? a) 8 in 1USB card reader b) USB hob for connecting more devices.
Also can you please tell me how to find out if I have extra PCI slot? I don't have a clue where to look for it !!!

Thanks a lot for your help again.

Sabi

robpaxton
Explorer

The N50 doesn't make much sense to me either :slight_smile: as it's a Sony camcorder does it look like this:

kee-lo_

If you need that sort of functionality, I would suggest getting a 9-in-1 reader from ebuyer, they're going for < £10

Sabi
Visitor

Hi Rob;

Thank you for the clear pic :slight_smile:

Yes my one is the same. The size is 2" ( 5cm) in length. The discription at the back reads: MSA-8A 0227S10 and where it is made.
So what do they call and can I use it in multiple reader?

Cheers Rob :wink:
Sabi

Sabi
Visitor

Thanks Kee-lo

The price is good. I will certaily look into it.

Sabi:smileyhappy: