Join now - be part of our community!

Optical Drive Issues

Rolu
Visitor

Optical Drive Issues

Hi Everybody,

I have been browsing through this forum today for a while and realized that there are all kinds of issues with the optical drives Sony is delivering with their notebooks (but not limited to notebooks). Despite there may be some problems related to incorrect system setup I would regard a significant amount of them as hardware (?) related. I am having such a problem too.
I just wonder whether Sony is aware of this and whether they have identified the root causes of all these issues. Are there any driver related problems or is it a manufacturing problem? I would like Sony being more responsive and active on these quality issues. So far I am very disappointed with the way Sony is handling the problems.

By the way, I also do not appreciate the way Sony is bundling their notebooks with Sony SW packages that aren't really good in my opinion but intend to bind customers to their products. In terms of updates and bug fixing this part (have a look which SW has been updated recently) seems to be far better supported than the pure basics of the system.

Best Regards
Rolu :slight_frown:

73 REPLIES 73
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Too right that there are numerous problems with optical drives shipped with Sony notebooks!! Regardless of whether this is software or hardware related Sony should really address this problem.
Is it possible to make this post sticky and see how quickly it grows?:smileysad:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

It's crazy the amount of posts I see about CD/DVD drives.....

There's no stickies yet, which is sad :slight_frown:

dabbler
Visitor

Well how do we make a post "sticky" exactly. Yesterday, I tried several times to reply to the DVD drive problems and my posts at the time seemed to dissapear. I kept trying again and again begining to think that there was a conspiracy theory ...lol.. that Sony were removing my posts. Today all the posts have appeared and so i ended up making multiple posts in several threads. Apologies.

Nonetheless THERE IS DEFINITELY A SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH SONY DVD/CD DRIVES!!! How do we expose it to the general public so that Sony do something??

Foxhound
Visitor

Problem with SONY is that they put other companies OEM hardware in it. Like most OEM hardware the software and drivers are supported by the (re)seller of the hardware NOT the manufactor.
SONY has always been more keen on fast releases of new hardware, then on updating firmware and patching software on "older" models. Their "display driver" updates, for example, are non existent.
Both VAIO's I owned had MATSHITA drives in it
MATSHITA = PANASONIC. No use to go to their websites since they tell you to go to SONY, IBM and co. for support.
SONY even disabled DVD-RAM support on the UJ-812 model that I currently use. The Matshita site confirms DVD-RAM support for this drive.:smileyconfused:

yakumo
Visitor

Well l'm miffed, not only do Sony realise they have a problem but have scant regard to remedy this situation. l have had my DVD-RW fixed last September and was told by the technicians that the problem wouldn't occur again but suprise suprise it has. Now with my finals coming up, l have to invest in an external writer to read and burn my animation reel or wait until Sony responds and charges me since my warranty i s expired.

Anything that bugged me is that the screw on the side of the speakers on the GRT7XXX series abover the firewire they forgot to put back. So now my speaker cover is loose.

Foxhound
Visitor

Yakumo, I'm sorry to hear that but it seems SONY support hasn't always been up to their "pricetag".
However you probably get better burning speeds with your external burner anyway. I too use an external burner when I am at home. I only burn with my laptop when I am "on the go".
I can imagen your frustration though, paying a hefty price one can expect atleast hassle free woring hardware.

kee-lo_

Most of these drives are not Sony too, Matshita etc....

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Mine is a Matshita UDJA 710 and the net is full of forums discussing problems with this drive. How can Sony, as the end supplier, turn their backs on the problem?
Keep this thread up and running and just maybe Sony will take some notice! :slight_frown:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kee-lo_

Indeed
bump bump bump