Join now - be part of our community!

Partitions

Mark.B
Visitor

Partitions

When I received my Vaio the hard disk was partitioned. I just carried on regardless. Now my C partition is approaching full (9% free space), my d partition is almost empty. If I delete the d partition, will the free space on that then transfer to my c drive. And are there any other risks in doing this.
Thanks
Mark B

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I would move files ie MP3, images etc onto your D drive, this would free up some space on your C drive.
Then if you ever needed to do system restore, you only need to restore the C drive.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

yep, thats it.

Click on Start[/], rightclick on My Documents, Properties,

type in D:\my documents and then OK.

That can take a few minutes if you have a lot files to move.

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Mmm good question. It is easy to create partitons but not so easy to delete them without wiping the entire drive. Use acronis True Image and an external harddrive and make a complete copy just in case. I'm not sure if the recovery wizard will let you delete the D Drive but normal windows xp set up will. Get Partition Pro that will do the job but get a true image copy first.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I would move files ie MP3, images etc onto your D drive, this would free up some space on your C drive. 

Once you have completed that you could also run disk cleanup in your hard drive properties.

IMO I would not remove the partition.

Mark.B
Visitor

That's the one - thanks. Did see this as a solution, but tried to simply move the My Docuemtns folder. Cos it's a system file, it wouldn't allow me to do it. This solves theproblem.
Thanks