Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-FX101

boneytony
Visitor

PCG-FX101

I have had to rebuild my old laptop - so where have I gone wrong? The hd died so I got a new one, installed w2k prof ...but can't get the fN keys to work and internal dial up modem will not work - a sorry state :slight_frown:

I have the original 2 Sony Product Recovery Cds but not the ME disc fortunatley my old w2k cds were around any help would be greatly appreciated

11 REPLIES 11
Woody27
Visitor

The two recovery disks contain Windows ME!

So, use them on the new HDD (which will return the computer to the state in which it left the factory) and then apply the Win 2K update disks!

You should retain the function keys etc.

Alternatively, (TRY THIS FIRST) are there any updates available from VAIO-LINK?

You may have to try the above from a system recovery and then Win 2K update anyhow!

Hope this helps!

CW

boneytony
Visitor

thanks I was not aware of that - should have looked :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

If that fails, the only other way to get Fn buttons to work is to install the Sony Shared Libraries utility from the website first, followed by the Utilities (UTILS.EXE) package next,

boneytony
Visitor

Thanks -I am trying to get the product recovery cd to boot with little success - just seems to hang with a blank screen although I think I can get it to read the disk in dos under g:\ but not sure where to go fronm there
:slight_frown:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Had any luck installing Windows 2000?

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

BoneyTony, you should get a Press Any Key prompt, and I think you have to press a key to start the recovery console (can't remember exactly, haven't had to use it in ages touch wood). Ensure you have the Optical drive listed as the first bootable device.

boneytony
Visitor

Nope not getting that but I am managing to get c:\ by typing G:\ and doing a dir I can see the disk1 the CD SONY dir and SONY IMG

Woody27
Visitor

It may be easier to do a full recovery as some of the files on the recovery disk will not run from the DOS prompt!

Back-up your data!

Go into Sony Notebook Setup (SNS - if you have it) and select the optical drive (in your case G:) as the first boot option. If you don't have SNS press either F2 or F8 when the computer boots to access the BIOS controls and select it from there... ...on the final screen select 'close and save options' (or similar statement). Oh, and don't fiddle with other settings.... ...if you do change a setting accidentally choose 'discard changes' on the final screen and try again!

Put the first recovery disk in the drive and the re-start, the recovery process should start automatically!

Once Windows ME (sounds like a disease) is back on perform the Windows 2000 update and get the drivers from VAIO-LINK!

This may be the quickest solution... ...in the long run!

CW

boneytony
Visitor

Thanks team...I have done exactly that and am in the process of updating to W2K - never did like that nasty disease...hopefully I will not need to pester you all again - nice to find a sensible forum - hopefully I will be able to help others at some point. :slight_smile: