Join now - be part of our community!

pcg-fx401 windows xp pro problem blue screen

walkinonair
Visitor

pcg-fx401 windows xp pro problem blue screen

Hello

I have a pcg-fx401(uk)

I tried to upgrade from the xp home to xp pro sp1 and it just hangs when its installing drivers, so I did a clean install and it seemed to install ok untill xp starts then i get a blue screen saying MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION 0x0000009c (0x00000001, 0x805366f0, 0xb6000000, 0x00000181)

I installed win 2k pro and that works just fine.

I have tried all the driver updates on the sony site for my model but still get this blue screen although starting in safe mode works.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ed

12 REPLIES 12
TygerTyger
Visitor

This is what you're after http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329284. Read and follow the suggestions.

walkinonair
Visitor

Hi
Thx for your suggestion.

the acticle u suggest states the following:
MORE INFORMATION
A machine check exception occurs when Windows XP and your hardware platform cannot recover from a hardware error so that the system can continue to run successfully and reliably. More specific diagnosis of machine check exceptions is difficult, and there is no general solution. Contact your hardware manufacturer or a computer hardware technician for help with troubleshooting this issue.

Machine check exceptions are frequently caused by one of the following conditions: ¿ You are running the processor or mainboard beyond its specifications. For example, you are overclocking the processor or bus. We recommend that you run your hardware at the manufacturer-rated speeds.
¿ Noisy power, overstressed power strips, outmatched power supplies and failing power supplies can destabilize your computer. Make sure that you have a stable, reliable power supply to your computer.
¿ Extreme thermal conditions caused by the failure of cooling devices such as fans may damage your computer. Make sure that your cooling devices are all working.
¿ You have damaged memory or memory that is not the correct type for your computer. If you recently changed the memory configuration, revert to the previous configuration to determine what is wrong. Make sure that you are using the correct memory for your computer.

What I dont understand is why i dont get this error with the pre installed xp home. Im not overclocking it, its running on ac power, maybe I havent installed some sony program that deals with the cooling fans but I dont know. The laptop works fine with w2k so the memory must be ok, can u suggest any trouble shooting procedures or something?

Thanks again.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Try getting the drivers from http://www.vaio-link.com for your model - most are XP drivers and Home drivers should work with Pro as well.

If this doesn't work then i'm out of ideas.

EDIT: Install Sony Shared Libraries first, then Install the Original Drivers Package - this may work as it could be a driver-related issue.

walkinonair
Visitor

Thank you James.

Unfortunately I do not have the cd with the original driver pack and it doesnt seem to be listed on vaiolink for download (against my model). Can u tell me where to download the files you mention?

Regards

walkinonair
Visitor

however, the drivers and utilities are available for the model pcg-fx501, would these work for my model the 401?

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

What model do you have? I'll post a direct (model-specific) link to you ASAP.

EDIT: You beat me to it:smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Drivers (Win2K and XP) for PCG-FX401 are here

Drivers (Win2k and XP) for PCG-FX501 are here

Hope this is of use to you! :wink:

TygerTyger
Visitor

I can imagine it's possible that you don't have the correct power setting utility now you have put Pro on>hence the fan isn't working as it should>hence the possibly heat-related error. Just a guess though.

walkinonair
Visitor

James

I have the pcg-fx401 but the original driver pack and utility pack are not listed on the fx401 page you said.

They are only listed on the fx501 page.

Will the fx501 packs work for the fx401?

regards