Join now - be part of our community!

pcg-fx401 windows xp pro problem blue screen

walkinonair
Visitor

pcg-fx401 windows xp pro problem blue screen

Hello

I have a pcg-fx401(uk)

I tried to upgrade from the xp home to xp pro sp1 and it just hangs when its installing drivers, so I did a clean install and it seemed to install ok untill xp starts then i get a blue screen saying MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION 0x0000009c (0x00000001, 0x805366f0, 0xb6000000, 0x00000181)

I installed win 2k pro and that works just fine.

I have tried all the driver updates on the sony site for my model but still get this blue screen although starting in safe mode works.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ed

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Try them and hope!

As TT suggested also try to alter the power settings and try to get a copy of the PCG-FX401 Sony Shared Libraries and install these on XP Pro then install the Sony Utilities (which reinstalls the VAIO Power Management tool)...

I hope this works because I am out of ideas!:smileywink:

walkinonair
Visitor

seems to be stable with fx501 utils, thx alot

best regards

ps will they ever post the driver packs and utils for all models? would save alot of complaints!

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

ps will they ever post the driver packs and utils for all models? would save alot of complaints!

True! Sony this is something you should proactively do more of!
Mind you to be fair to Sony they have started to list Windows 2000 drivers which is something of a miracle!

They are also bad at updating drivers but most of the time there is'nt any real reason to upgrade working stable drivers unless its preformance and features you are after!:smileygrin: