Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-FX403 MS XP don't shows installed RAM

Maylis
Visitor

PCG-FX403 MS XP don't shows installed RAM

I have 2x 128MB RAM installed. (It was already installed - I didn't install more). But looking at the system information of windows XP I only see 128MB RAM installed.

Laptop PCG-FX403

I hope someone can help me out!

tks
chris :thinking:

12 REPLIES 12
Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

Sometimes the RAM doesn't slot all the way home. Try taking them out and pressing them back again.

Maylis
Visitor

Sometimes the RAM doesn't slot all the way home. Try taking them out and pressing them back again.

I checked it already - I also swichted both of them with the same result. Could it be that there is one slot without a function?

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

Ram can be a bit temperamental at times. However, I'd have a look in the BIOS and see if the additional RAM need to be activated.

Maylis
Visitor

Ram can be a bit temperamental at times. However, I'd have a look in the BIOS and see if the additional RAM need to be activated.

I checked for it in the BIOS - there is no option to activate additional RAM. I can only see the system information wich says also: Total RAM 128MB

Any other ideas?

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

Sounds like the slot might be broken. What happens if you take one of the cards away. Does the other card work in both slots or just one?

Maylis
Visitor

Sounds like the slot might be broken. What happens if you take one of the cards away. Does the other card work in both slots or just one?

If I take it away out of the first slot the computer doesen't start if I take it out of the second slot the the computers starts and shows 128MB RAM.

Do you think there is one slot broken?

If it is broken I would need a new mainboard!? Or could I use the other slot with 512MB?

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

You should be able to use a 512 in one of the slots.

Maylis
Visitor

I hoped to get another solution but .....

Thanks for you help.

one more question: could it be a problem to use PC133 SDRAM instead of PC100?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sounds like the dreaded memory slot problem a lot of GRX users had