Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-FX501 Upgrades

petridis
Visitor

PCG-FX501 Upgrades

Yes, there are still working models from this series out there. I have mine for nearly 5 years now. I am looking to upgrade some components now.

First of all, FX501 originally comes with a 20MB HDD. I am looking to replace the HDD to something with higher capacity (I plan to use the old one with a case as an external HDD). Does anyone knows if there is a limit on the HDD capacity this model can accept?

I have spotted a HITACHI 2.5" HARD DISK, 80GB, 5400RPM, ΑΤΑ-5, Average Seek Time: 13ms, Data Transfer: 100MB/sec max., Buffer Memory: 8MB. Will this HDD work ok with the FX501?

FX501 originally has 256MB of RAM (PC100). Few months ago I got another 256MB (PC133) module from Crucial. It works fine, as PC100 however. Total memory now is 512MB, but I have seen a comment on a VAIO fun site, that the FX50x series can take up to 1Gb RAM, if "quality" modules are used (such as Crucial or Kingston). Does anyone knows anything about this, or can verify it?

Note: FX501 is supposed to support up to 512MB of RAM. Also, the modules are supposed to be PC100. However the new one I got is PC133 and works just fine.

Finally, FX501 comes with a CD/DVD combo Rom. Can this be replaced with a CD/DVD recorder Rom?

Please, someone get back to me soon.

Thank You
Michael

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi

The hard disk might not work, as 5 years ago, some BIOSes were limited to 32GB. You might want to run Everrest Home Edition to check.

As for the memory, I would check this with Crucial. They are very good at helping people find the right memory. Same for Kingston.

As for the CD/DVD, the facia plate is going to be your biggest enemy.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I think that you mean that your model came with a 20 Gb HDD? One of my Vaio notebooks (GR series – 30 Gb original spec.) must now be approaching 5 years old and I have recently installed an 80 Gb drive without any problem.

My advice is go for it….

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kee-lo_

When did the barrier get removed for > 32GB?

petridis
Visitor

I think i will go for the new HDD then :grin: I have already ordered and received an external HDD case for the old HDD :slight_smile:

By the way, i managed to spot the model of the motherboard on the FX-501. It's the Q3-Project (1A). The BIOS version originally on it is the R0111K5. I have updated that some time ago to R0121K5. However i cannot find any more info regarding these (specs, limits, etc). Anyone knows anything?

Thank you all for the help!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

When did the barrier get removed for > 32GB?

The Award BIOS problem (the "32 GB size barrier") was corrected in mid 1999, so systems manufactured subsequently are unlikely to experience that problem.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kee-lo_

Ah right, thanks for the info Rich

petridis
Visitor

SEAGATE MOMENTUS ST980815A 80GB 2.5'' ATA 5400.3

I had a look around and apparently Momentus .3 is the latest series of seagate. Anyone has any comments on this HDD?

I am planning on ordering this one for my FX501. Only one question. Interface of Momentus is Ultra ATA/100. Is it acceptable by FX501?

kee-lo_

I'd look at 7200 RPM

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Interface of Momentus is Ultra ATA/100. Is it acceptable by FX501?

All Ultra ATA/100 drives should be backwardly compatible with Ultra ATA/33, Ultra ATA/66 interfaces – you should not experience any problem.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat