Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-FX501 Upgrades

petridis
Visitor

PCG-FX501 Upgrades

Yes, there are still working models from this series out there. I have mine for nearly 5 years now. I am looking to upgrade some components now.

First of all, FX501 originally comes with a 20MB HDD. I am looking to replace the HDD to something with higher capacity (I plan to use the old one with a case as an external HDD). Does anyone knows if there is a limit on the HDD capacity this model can accept?

I have spotted a HITACHI 2.5" HARD DISK, 80GB, 5400RPM, ΑΤΑ-5, Average Seek Time: 13ms, Data Transfer: 100MB/sec max., Buffer Memory: 8MB. Will this HDD work ok with the FX501?

FX501 originally has 256MB of RAM (PC100). Few months ago I got another 256MB (PC133) module from Crucial. It works fine, as PC100 however. Total memory now is 512MB, but I have seen a comment on a VAIO fun site, that the FX50x series can take up to 1Gb RAM, if "quality" modules are used (such as Crucial or Kingston). Does anyone knows anything about this, or can verify it?

Note: FX501 is supposed to support up to 512MB of RAM. Also, the modules are supposed to be PC100. However the new one I got is PC133 and works just fine.

Finally, FX501 comes with a CD/DVD combo Rom. Can this be replaced with a CD/DVD recorder Rom?

Please, someone get back to me soon.

Thank You
Michael

19 REPLIES 19
petridis
Visitor

That's what I thought too.

I am going to order it, since it comes fairly cheap too. I am buying it from an online shop (based at Greece) and it's the cheapest 80GB disk. Even 60GB disks are more expensive than this one. Price on that shop is 69euros. I am buying it for 65.50euros due to lower VAT in my area. I think it's a good deal (44.30 GBP).

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes….

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
petridis
Visitor

I have received and installed the new HDD. I have also instaled XP from the Product Recovery CD and i am still in the process of updating it.

Everything works fine except from a small bip from the notebook speakers every now and then (actually it's more like random). I don't know why this occurs.

Also, when i first installed XP from the recovery CD, had it make 2 partitions, one system with 15GB and one with all the rest HDD. Apparently, my second partition was created only with 20GB. However this was easily corrected through
My Computer>Manage>Disk Managment.
I erased partition D and recreated it with all the remainder disk. Now C drive is in FAT32 file system and D drive in NTFS. Is that ok?

Next step in updating my VAIO is: CPU Anyone has any info on that? FX-501 takes AMD Duron 1 GHz. Up to which speed can i go? And what core can I use?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I am not sure on your CPU question.

I would suggest that you change the file system for the C drive to NTFS, especially if you are planning to use Live Messenger share folders (FAT32 will not work).

If you are unfamiliar with the process or the benefits of converting have a look here.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
petridis
Visitor

Yes, I just noticed that share folders will not work with Live Messenger :slight_smile: But, do I really need that feature?

Thanks for the link. I wil have a look at it.

Is there a way to change the file system without formating? Because C drive is my system drive. If I format it, I will have to install XP again. The problem is that the Product Recovery CD will not give me the option to select file system. It formats the disk as FAT32.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

The CONVERT command will not format the drive and you will not lose data. The link I provided will explain the procedure.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
petridis
Visitor

That worked just fine. Thanks a lot!

I am stil looking info on changing my CPU. Is out there anyone that knows something? Please come forward... we won't bite :smileygrin:

Also, I need info on whether I can get a specific spare part
(CNX-150 - P/N DA0NE3P14B4 REV:B). This is a small card that the Serial port, one USB and the modem's phone jack are mounted. USB is dead since the connectors of the port with the card are broken. I realise this must be a long shot... but hey... hope dies last :smileygrin:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The only really good place for parts is nexttronics.com

As for the CPU, I guess you could look at Everest Home Edition and see if you can find a CPU type that is compatible with the motherboard.

petridis
Visitor

Excellent link Kee-Lo! Thanks for the info. Nexttronics seems to have loads of parts for VAIO. Are there any more similar links out there?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Not that I know of, specially not in the UK