Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-GRT915M Graphics and Fan

profile.country.en_GB.title
rcaulfield
Visitor

PCG-GRT915M Graphics and Fan

Hello everyone, this my first post.

I'm trying to revamp my laptop (above) and would like to know two things:

1) If it's possible to replace the existing GeForce FX Go5600 64mb with an upgrade, or is it truly embedded within the motherboard?  I've noticed two easy access panels on the underside - I know one is ram -what is the other?

2) The secondary fan is on it's way out (not the CPU fan) and sometimes makes a whirring noise.  This happens more and more frequently (even though I've removed it and cleaned it) and when it makes noise the whole computer seems to slow down (is it sapping power from the system??)  Where can I source a replacement from?

Thanks for any help.

Richard

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Richard and welcome.

Some GR models did have the graphics chip on a daughter board but I seem to think that the GRT was not one of them. Even if it is the chances of finding a replacement/upgrade daughterboard for a model of this age is slim.

The other compartment on the underside may be for the wireless card (not necessarily fitted on your model).

As for the computer slowing when the fan is making a whirring sound this is could be passive cooling kicking in due to overheating. At critical heat levels the CPU will automatically reduce the processor speed and ultimately shut down in order to prevent further damage. I suggest that you check out CPU temperature with a software utility.

I hope this helps,

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat