Join now - be part of our community!

PCV-LX2 fails to start

dcbright
Visitor

PCV-LX2 fails to start

When I switched on my SONY PCV-LX2 today I was presented with the following message:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

It then said put in the WinXP CD and press 'r' to repair.

But the product recovery CD-ROM supplied with the PC does not have this option. What should I do as I do not want to do a complete recovery and lose the data on my C drive.

Thanks

David Seabright
:thinking:

16 REPLIES 16
William
Visitor

I had a sort of similar experience trying to install an extra network protocols - It didn't seem to be on the recovery disks.

Finally stuck an XP disk in and Windows XP found it straight away.

Not much help if you haven't got an XP disk:smileycry:

William

jameshopkinx
Visitor

i had this exact error a few weeks ago, oddly enough my machine was about a week over the 1 year waranty! same as you i'd not done anything the last time i used the machine and shut it down as normal.

none of the normal microsoft soloutions worked cos of sony's jigged around version of xp. oh and the included recovery disk is faulty (one of the problems of buying one of the 1st of a new model!) so i'm waiting for a new one from vaio link which has taken over a week. oh and of course i'm going to lose everything since my last backup and have to re install every program, nice!

i guess its one of the hazards of windows but its a pain in the bum, still a very sexy machine though...

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

What a pain!

dcbright
Visitor

I'm trying to think what could be the cause as there was a period of three weeks between switching the PC off and then restarting (I was on holiday!).

The last programme installed was Microsoft's Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition with ASP.NET 2 (www.asp.net). It was a beast to download and install but everything went okay and I'm sure the PC was re-booted successfully, many times, after instalation. I've checked the MS forum site and nobody has complained of a similar problem.

Lets hope the restore this weekend using the Sony disk goes okay and I don't discover that I also have a duff CD!! :pray:

kee-lo_

Numerous factors can lead a PC not to work, I doubt ASP.NET is involved this time (although I hate ASP.net with a passion)

jameshopkinx
Visitor

well i think the programs used the time before it died were director, photoshop and championship manager so there's nothing remotely out of the ordinary there, just one of those things. still waiting for my new recovery disk, apparently they take 3-4 day to dispatch, great!

kee-lo_

Good luck