Join now - be part of our community!

PCV-RZ221 - NEW DVD DRIVE (DRU700A) Dual Layer

Stinger
Visitor

PCV-RZ221 - NEW DVD DRIVE (DRU700A) Dual Layer

I have installed this drive in place on the pioneer DVD-ROM drive with no problems. The only thing I have noticed is the CD active light on the front on the VAIO case no longer lights up when this drive is active. Anybody got any ideas.

4 REPLIES 4
shabs
Visitor

hi me 2

i have the same problem how did u manage to get the flap to open with out melting few plastic at the front which i had to do as it would not open.
ps have u managed to get hold of any dual discat all

Stinger
Visitor

Hi Shabs,

I replaced the original cover (white one), with the black bezil. I had to keep adjusting the mounting screws in the cradle until both drives worked. At first the drive kept opening and closing all by itself.

I don't have any DL disks yet, but there is a site in the states which will be shipping end of this month.

http://www.americal.com/pd/VER94912.html

I think the active light problem is a firmware issue, as I have heard the drive led displays different colours when reading/writing. I have thought about flashing it with the lite-on, as it is the same drive.

shabs
Visitor

no probs thanks for that info take care

shabs

fqlynx
Visitor

Since you guys are pretty clue up as to how to install the 700a & replace it with a DVD-ROM on an RZ-221, please let me know how you did it, cause i'm finding hard to replace the original DVD-ROM (bottom drive), due to lack of space.

Thanks!