Join now - be part of our community!

Please Help. Sony Vaio VGN Audio Not Working.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Rayan2004
Visitor

Please Help. Sony Vaio VGN Audio Not Working.

Hi Hi. My SONY laptop model VGN-FW48E. Running on Win Vista s.p 2. Since last 2 days Audio stopped working completely.
It shows the sound icon on start menu bar. But enables only HDMI audio.
Speaker audio or Mic not working. Also i dont see any those devices on playback device tab.
I downloaded and installed software driver for audio few times already.
I updated BIOS as well.
I tired one whole day doing these things and went to bed. Next day morning i saw Sound is working again. I thought everything is fine. But When i restart the Vaio, sound lost again.
Finally I restored C drive using Vaio Recovery tool. Installed BIOS and Sound Driver from sony website. Still I managed to enable only HDMI audio. Im so so fed up with trying so many times.
I can confirm nothing wrong with Sound card. This must be software/Driver or OS issue as i can see. But i dont know how to fix.
Please tell me how can i get my audio back.
Thank you in advance.
Rayan

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Ryan,

can you check the Audio settings in Control Panel..

These can be found in control panel - sound - try setting the default to speakers/headphones.

Click on the configure to test..

Rayan2004
Visitor

I can not see speakers or headphones. I installed correct driver from sony website. But it enables onlyy HDMI audio. Not speaker audio.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi,

Open Device manager go to Start > Run > type devmgmt.msc and press OK..

In Device Manager can you check what is listed under Sound, Video & Game Controllers please.?

Are there any unkown devices listed in Device Manager or are there any error codes reported.?

Rayan2004
Visitor

Hi.

Under Sound, Video & Game Controllers, i can see only High Definition Audio Device.

Before this happend i noticed Realtek Audio Device was also there.

I downloded and install driver from sony website. But still it enables only HDMI audio. Not speaker audio.

After hibernating from Night to morning, it worked once in the morning/. But again sound stoped working

giving "Sound Applet is not Responding."

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Yes, the 'Realtek High Definition Audio Device' should show in Device Manager.  Are you able to open the Volume Mixer?

Just quickly check that there are no disconnected or disabled devices in your 'Playback Devices' window by right-clicking anywhere inside the window and checking the boxes next to 'Show Disabled/Disconnected Devices'.

I wonder if it is worth uninstalling the HDMI Audio Driver and installing the non-HDMI Verison available in the Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities section of the Support website for your model?  This would not support HDMI but it would allow you to check if there is a driver issue with the HDMI Driver.

However, as the fault is intermittent it may be difficult to track down as there may be a driver conflict of some sort or a hardware malfunction like a loose connection.

:thinking:

Rayan2004
Visitor

Thank you for your reply. Only device i can see on my playback devices section is HDMI audio. I have checked the show disable divices and disconnected devices. As i can see HDMI audio talking priority and dont let realtek audio to show up.

I tried to remove HDMI audio completlt and install non HDMI audio version. But once i restart laptop, it detects HDMI automatically and enable HDMI audio for speaker icon on startmenu bar.

How can i remove HDMI audio completly, so i can try to install non HDMI audio.