Join now - be part of our community!

Please Sony gives us Screen Rotation back !!!

Voltaire65
Visitor

Please Sony gives us Screen Rotation back !!!

I have upgraded from a VGN T2XP (XP) to a TZ 21(Vista) :smileygrin: . All was perfect until disaster struck: the option to rotate the screen to a portrait display in the TZ's Intel 945 Chipset driver has been disabled by Sony! You can actually see the place on the right of the Intel Display Setting in their Graphics interface (in the Control Panel) where the Rotation Enabling should appear and it is tragically blanked out... Why on earth did we go backward on that? :dizzy:

Portrait display was perfect to read long PDFs as a book on the T2. :clap:

Please please, Sony, how can we re-enable it? Can a few register key modifications do it? Do we have to get an enabled driver? :thinking:

12 REPLIES 12
Voltaire65
Visitor

If anyone knows a workaround, I'll take it. (No, Pivot Pro and iRotate do not work) :cry:

littlebucko
Visitor

hi sony has not disabled this it will be a missing driver (vista will remove random drivers)
have you tryed pressing left shift button and a arrow key at the same time this should rotate the screen the way the arrow is pointing

Voltaire65
Visitor

Do you mean that Vista itself disabled the Rotation Enabling option in the driver? Interesting thought :smileythinking: ... Gets me thinking...

Is it reasonable to think that it probably could be reversed with a bit of registery tampering? Actually, could the disabling be due to the presence in Vista of this "Tablet PC Settings" program in the Control Panel (visible in Classic View)that offers orientation control? Does Vista disable Orientation through the Graphic Driver to allow "Table PC Settings" take over? Sounds a bit too far-fetched ... If not why else ???

On my other Vista computer, with a Nvidia driver, the rotating option is still available in the Nvidia graphic driver control program. Moreover, the "Table PC Settings" actually offers portait orientation next to "Primary Landscape" (did not dare try the Portrait orientation thru this though, as my PC is not a Tablet). On the Vaio, only Primary Landscape is offered . So this "Tablet PC Setting" is not the issue apparently and Vista allows rotating. That takes me back to... Sony is the issue... :slight_frown:

Voltaire65
Visitor

I've just tried Portait Orientation thru "Tablet PC Settings" (Display Tab) on my other PC - what the heck! - and it works fine, so a Tablet is not required.

So back to square 1 : why isn't Rotation offered in the Intel Graphics Options and/or why isn't Portrait offered in "Tablet PC Settings" ? :smileythinking:

littlebucko
Visitor

vista is still being developed to try to get rid of common problems like this
have you installed or uninstalled anything just before it stopped working
the graphics on intel's are run through drivers or dll's as they are also known this is what vista is having problems keeping on some computers have you tryed updating the drivers on vaio update or reinstalling the drivers
this will sort out the problem

if worst comes to worst backup all your work and reboot the laptop using vaio recovery

Voltaire65
Visitor

Sorry that I wasn't clearer: the Rotation Enabling was never available. Never there. Never worked.

I reinstalled the latest (and pretty recent) Intel graphic driver from Vaio's website, to no avail. I would love to know if the owner of a TZ21 has it working on his machine!

littlebucko
Visitor

i thought you were having the problem so sorry have you checked to see if there is anything that you can enable (in your laptop instructions)

Voltaire65
Visitor

The only reference to screen orientation in the user manual is:

"Do not change the LCD orientation setting in the Tablet PC Setting even when another option is available as it may make your computer unstable."

Ok. Noted down. I'll take the Rotation enabling only through the Intel driver then. How do we get there?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Have you tried a non-Sony, non-OEM driver direct from Intel?

The latest version is: -

WinVista_1573
Production Version Release
Microsoft Windows Vista*
Driver Revision: 15.7.3.1409
January 11, 2008

You will find that Sony have tried to stop you installing a non-OEM version - the self-installing .EXE download will not install. Try downloading the .ZIP version, Extract the files and try to install either by running the Setup.EXE or by going to Device Manager and choosing 'Update Driver' and browsing to your download.

:thinking:

EDIT: Here is the link:

WinVista_1573

:wink: