Join now - be part of our community!

Power Fault on my FZ21Z ?

grantrhammond
Visitor

Power Fault on my FZ21Z ?

My FZ-21Z laptop seems to have developed a power fault, I wonder if anyone else has experienced the same problem and found a resolution?

The problem is as follows:

With the laptop plugged into the mains, I power it on. Windows Vista loads and I log on. Even though the laptop should be running on mains power, the battery discharges over a period of ~20 minutes and when fully discharged, the laptop switches off.

Once switched off, the laptop is then able the recharge the battery and once charged I am able to switch the laptop on again. It will only charge the battery when switched off.

I have tried taking the battery out and starting the laptop. The laptop will not start.

When powered on, I have also tried unplugging it from mains power and plugging it back in to see if that will tempt it to run on mains power. No luck there either.

Help!

Maybe I should get rid of the battery all together and attempt to hard-wire my power supply directly into the contacts in the battery bay that the battery uses to power the laptop?

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi grantrhammond and welcome.

It certainly sounds like the Power Board has lost the connection to run the Vaio direct from mains power.

I assume you are out of warranty?

Could be as simple as a poor connection but is usually needs an electrician to have a look!

:slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi grantrhammond,

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

When your Vaio's running and connected to AC power does the power icon in your system tray state your running on AC power or battery.?

Maybe I should get rid of the battery all together and attempt to hard-wire my power supply directly into the contacts in the battery bay that the battery uses to power the laptop?

I wouldn't recommend that..