Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with Headphones on VGN-A115M

Swimon
Visitor

Problem with Headphones on VGN-A115M

hello,

i have a problem with my laptop:

when i plug in headphones (tested multiple headphones already), the laptop's right speaker doesn't mute completely!

does anyone know the cause of this? and how i can fix this?

thx alot

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

I'm only poking a guess but try using the balance slider and scrawl it across to the left and mute and the same to the right then see if it mutes correctly. If that doesn't work go to My Computer and right click and bring up the hardware/devise manager and delete the sound driver. Restart and then the Vaio will automatically reinstall the driver again correctly. If this doesn't work do the same thing with the Vaio Link sound drivers here

Swimon
Visitor

hi, thanks for the response

i tried using the balance slider, and the right speaker doesnt mute when i pull the slider all the way to the left

there's no problem when there's no headphone in the vaio though...

and which driver do i need to remove?
here's what i can chose from :slight_smile:

*audiocodecs
*legacy audiodrivers
*media managing devices (this is probably not the right name, cause i'm translating this from dutch :slight_smile: )
*realtek AC 97 audio

thx again

GBS
Visitor

You could also just check to see if there is an update for your audio driver.

You will find it here.

To answer your question above -it is the realtek audio driver.

HTH.

robpaxton
Explorer

The switching function on a headphone socket is purely mechanical. The socket has a double pole single throw normally connected switch that mutes the internal speakers when the plug is inserted. It's a hardware fault which Sony should repair providing your computer is still under warranty.

If the computer is out of warranty then if you can repair the fault yourself without replacing the socket will depend on whether the socket is open or encapsulated.

kee-lo_

Before you send it away get some compressed air and spray in there, dust can stop the button from being pressed down

Swimon
Visitor

thanks for the replies,

i'll go buy compressed air then :slight_smile:

and i dont know if my vaio is still under warrenty, 'cause i bought it second hand... is there a way to check this?

and how many years warranty does sony usually give on a vaio?

kee-lo_

1 in Europe 2 in Germany