Join now - be part of our community!

Problems installing Griffins iMic USB audio interface

Stephen_c2
Visitor

Problems installing Griffins iMic USB audio interface

Greetings,
This is the first message I have placed on this forum.

I have been a proud owner of a PCG NV105 for a number of years. I recently purchased a Griffin iMic2 USB audio device.
I have attached the iMic usb plug into either the USB slots on the VAIO or the USB2 PCMIA slot and the same thing happens.

WinXP opens up the 'Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard.' with the hope of finding the driver and software for the iMic audio.
I let it search the internet for the relevant driver but without luck.

eventually it comes up with 'Cannot Install this Hardware
... the wizard cannot find the necessary software.'

This means the iMic will not install on the Vaio even though it does on my desktop no problem.

Any ideas as to what I should do?

Thanks and Best Wishes,

Steve

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

How about clicking cancel when ti comes up?

Stephen_c2
Visitor

How about clicking cancel when ti comes up?

Thanks for getting back to my question.

If I click on cancel when the 'found New Hardware' box arrives then a text balloon opens saing
"A problem occured during hardware installation
...Your new hardware might not work propery."
I checked in Device Manager and there was a Fault Exclamation mark under the 'Other devics' Heading named iMic USB audio system. I opened the properties of this fault to find that no drivers had been installed. When I tried to install drivers I had the same problem as before. winXP couldn't find them!

On my desktop, which accepts and installs the iMic audio system. Opening the Device Manager the iMic can be found under the Heading 'Sound video and game controllers' It uses 8 files from the c:/windows/system32 and c:/windows/system32/drivers.

I checked the Vaio c: drive and all the files were available.

I am still confused.
Any ideas?
Steve.

kee-lo_

When you see the exclamation mark, right click the device and click uninstall and reboot, hopefully this time it'll go through.

Is there no CD with iMic?

jeansac
Visitor

it is quiet similar as my problem with Altec XT1
no disk with the xt1 and .... no sound

Stephen_c2
Visitor

Thank you Kee-Lo. You ask:

When you see the exclamation mark, right click the device and click uninstall and reboot, hopefully this time it'll go through.

Is there no CD with iMic?

I have done the first 'Right-click / uminstall / reboot but it reappears where it shouldn't.

There are no CD for the iMic. I have contacted the Griffin support and they don't have a solution. Told me
'Stephen,

You need to contact your computer provider and make sure you have the
correct drivers for your computer. The iMic should hook right up no problem..

Griffin Technology
Technical Support'

Ant more ideas?
Steve

kee-lo_

Hmm

OK have you tried uninstalling the USB ports? This could be a driver conflict

Stephen_c2
Visitor

Hello again Kee-Lo,
You said '

Hmm
OK have you tried uninstalling the USB ports? This could be a driver conflict
'

In winXP Device Manager I highlighted the balloon Titled iMic USB situated in the section OTHER DEVICES. It has a Exclamation fault.
I right-clicked the highlight and Uninstalled the Hardware. On rebooting it reappeard in the same position with the same problem.

On my desktop the iMic installs perfectly and sits in the Device Manager section under Sound Video and Game controllers.

I do not know how to tell the laptop to install it correctly.
Steve.
Apologies for my words yesterday as I had my worst migrane in 20 years. I couldn't even see the computer screen. Spelling was right out.
Feeling a little better now, though.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Stephen, have you tried pointing the 'Found New Hardware wizard' or 'Update Driver' in the direction of C:\Windows\inf?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Stephen_c2
Visitor

Greetings Rich,
You asked:

Stephen, have you tried pointing the 'Found New Hardware wizard' or 'Update Driver' in the direction of C:\Windows\inf?

Firstly when I attach the iMic USB audio interface winXP should automatically install it {As what happens on the desktop}
On the Vaio THE FOUND NEW HARWARE WIZARD opens but cannot be satisfied by my responses.
I have spent hours with the combinations.
In Device manage the iMic balloon is found under Other Devices with an exclamation mark {for not working correctly}
I have taken the relevant files from the disktop and placedd them in a folder. Clicked on Update Driver and ask it to brwose in the relevant folder.
Alas it refuses to open and I am back to the first step.

I am a lttle uncertain about the command C:\Windows\inf?

How or what to do?

I have just had another respose from Griffin who have sent me
"Stephen,
This is not a known issue. Seeing how it works fine on one and not the other
we know the the iMic itself is fine. You might need to contact windows.
Griffin Technology
Technical Support"

This is not going to make my head ache go.
Any ideas,
Steve