Join now - be part of our community!

Problems installing Griffins iMic USB audio interface

Stephen_c2
Visitor

Problems installing Griffins iMic USB audio interface

Greetings,
This is the first message I have placed on this forum.

I have been a proud owner of a PCG NV105 for a number of years. I recently purchased a Griffin iMic2 USB audio device.
I have attached the iMic usb plug into either the USB slots on the VAIO or the USB2 PCMIA slot and the same thing happens.

WinXP opens up the 'Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard.' with the hope of finding the driver and software for the iMic audio.
I let it search the internet for the relevant driver but without luck.

eventually it comes up with 'Cannot Install this Hardware
... the wizard cannot find the necessary software.'

This means the iMic will not install on the Vaio even though it does on my desktop no problem.

Any ideas as to what I should do?

Thanks and Best Wishes,

Steve

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Stephen,

I was hoping that possibly native windows drivers may work with your device. I am uncertain about this but it is worth a try.

When you try to update the driver choose the option to install from a specific location and then browse to C:\Windows\inf. If your hardware is listed in any of the files in that directory then it will be recognized and the necessary drivers installed.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Stephen_c2
Visitor

Greetings Rich,

Thank you for getting back to me. Connecting the iMic USB opens the Found New Hardware wizard. I set the Browse button to c:\Windows\inf and continued with the wizard but no luck. The correct drivers weren't found.

Following that I went back to Device Manager and opened the imic audio device {yellow !} under the Other Device setting and tried to upload the driver from the same source {c:\Windows\inf } with the same negative response.

Thanks again for your help but I am truly confused and really don't know what to do.
Best Wishes,
Steve
Still needing help.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

OK, remove iMic for a bit.

Go to Control Panel > System > Hardware Tab and Device Manager
In there scroll to Universal Serial Bus Controllers
Uninstall each one
Reboot Windows
Now try plugging in iMic

If this doesn't work then try another USB port on the laptop.

Stephen_c2
Visitor

Thank You, Kee-Lo,
You wrote"

OK, remove iMic for a bit.
Go to Control Panel > System > Hardware Tab and Device Manager
In there scroll to Universal Serial Bus Controllers
Uninstall each one
Reboot Windows
Now try plugging in iMic
If this doesn't work then try another USB port on the laptop.
"
I have done exactly as asked. I uninstalled the three Universal Serial Bus Controllers followed by rebooting the Vaio. The USB controllers were gradually reinstalled as Windows reawoken but alas, the machine didn't want to know the iMic. Same as before Found New Software Wizard.

I unistalled the half installed iMic and inserted its USB cable into the other ports. The same problem occured.
So in short Kee-Lo, I am still confused.

Thank you for your assistance.
Any other ideas?
Best Wishes,
Steve

Stephen_c2
Visitor

Further my finding no errors after runnin sfc /scannow, I think the answer is to go for the Product Recovery CD-ROM's.

http://www.club-vaio.com/clubvaio/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=33945

Best Wishes,
Steve

kee-lo_

I'm wondering if this is a power issue, looking at what you said before, your desktop is fine with it, yet the USB ports on a desktop PC often have more power to them. You could try a wall powered USB hub, but I am really at the bottom of the barrel here

Stephen_c2
Visitor

Thank you for your hard work around finding a solution to my iMic difficulties.

The great news is that I have managed to get them to install. I think the problem was a driver associated with an Avertv product that was on my Laptop.
I made four attempts to uninstall both the program and the driver. The pc kept on asking to rebooti but leaving the program and driver to be deleted once again. A little strange.
I thought I would plug the iMic in to see if anything had changed and blow me... ..Your hardware is ready to use!
I went straight upstairs to try my iMic2 and both work in unison.

Now to get back to what I enjoy.
Many thanks all.

kee-lo_

Wicked! Glad it's working now
Have fun