Join now - be part of our community!

Questions for Vaio FS-215S [:-/]

gvelon
Visitor

Questions for Vaio FS-215S [:-/]

Hello everyone!
I have recently bought a new vaio fs215s and even though it is a beauty there are some problems that concern me...
First of all, the system acts a bit sluggish and even though i disabled norton or other unecessary progs to make it lighter I still get minor disruptions. The pointer freezes when sth new is loading, the file transfer is a bit slow between partitions but the most irritating problem is the often freezing of sound and video that happens for fractions of a second and ruins the whole enjoyment.
My other concern is dvd burning. Specs say it is an 8x speed DVD-R burner but then why do I get max 4x in nero or recordnow! ? I didn't own a dvd recorder before and i'm curious: Does it take 1 hour indeed to burn a 4GB DVD?
It is a bit worrying to see my old 1GHz PIII 256Ram desktop to work faster than my new laptop...Does anyone else have the same problems?
Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi gvelon and welcome to the forum.

It does sound as though your FS215S is not performing as it should. There could be any number of reasons but it would appear that either you are short of memory or some process is using more than its fare share. Here are a few suggestions:

1.Check that the memory that you assume is installed is in fact there and working correctly. Download Everest Home Edition and have a look under Motherboard > Chipset.

2.When you experience this slowdown, press Crtl + Alt + Del and click on the Processes tab ¿ is there anything, apart from System Idle Process, that is using a large percentage of the CPU. Spyware/malware can use huge amounts of processor power but malfunctioning legitimate programs can do the same.

3.Run a full virus and malware scan. I recommend Spysubtract for the adware/malware scan. A free 30 day trial can be download from
here.

Re the DVD burning speed, I suggest that you try different media ¿ Memorex, Verbatim, Sony etc. to see whether this makes a difference.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gvelon
Visitor

Thank you!