Join now - be part of our community!

"VAIO Display Plus" vs "VAIO Display Premium"

profile.country.en_GB.title
mmmfreegoo
Visitor

"VAIO Display Plus" vs "VAIO Display Premium"

I was looking at purchasing and configuring a new Sony Vaio F series.

There are 3 options for configuring the display, and I would like more information on the "VAIO Display Plus" and "VAIO Display Premium".

At the moment, the information given for on the Sony website for the two displays are as follows

Vaio Display PlusVaio Display Premium
Real Wide Screen: Watch movies in their original format with reduced black barscheckmark_greencheckmark_green
High Contrast: Images are more realistic and true-to-lifecheckmark_greencheckmark_green
Tough Coating: Resistance to marks and scratchescheckmark_greencheckmark_green
Wide Viewing Angles: Do not need to be in front of the screen to see sharp and clear imagescheckmark_greencheckmark_green
Low Reflection: Makes images easier to see in outdoor environmentscheckmark_greencheckmark_green
Ultimate colour saturation: The most realistic and intense picture possible
checkmark_green
Extreme Brightness: Gives supreme image depth and definition
checkmark_green
Adobe RGB Colours: Wider colour coverage for professional photo enthusiasts, printers and producerscheckmark_green

To me this is not enough information.

Please could someone actually post the technical specs of the panel used (rather than just descriptions as above) as I would like to know these figures so I can make a more informed decision on which option to choose..

I'd like to know whether there are coating differences (matte or glossy) between the panels - the types of panel (tn / ips / pva), the manufacturer of the panels (samsung? sony?), reaction times, brightness levels etc..

Then I can make a decision

I want to know whether it is actually worth spending more money for Display Premium, at the moment, the only concrete difference is the inclusion of Adobe RGB colours, as without specs / actual figures, having a 'ticks' next to "Ultimate colour saturation" and "Extreme Brightness" don't really mean anything.

Many thanks

6 REPLIES 6
mmmfreegoo
Visitor

Nothing? I would have thought atleast someone from Sony would be able to clarify for me so that I can make a decision that would help me to buy one of their products.. :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

This is a Vaio User area for self help and even the Experts are not Sony Staff.

However, I see one of the Experts has escalated your questions to Sony and if we receive a reply it will be posted here.  Somehow I doubt we will get all the information you would like.

joperez7798
Visitor

to mmmfreegoo.

I can not provide you with the specs but I will give you my knowledge. If I were you I would choose the premium one. I bought the last year F11 and there was not option of the screen when buying the premium model. After buying it I was reading everything that come across related to the model and one thing the US customers were complaing at the time was the impossibility of buying the premium screen in that market. I can confirm that the Premium model of last year is Matte and in all the options the screen is TN. You need to buy the current X series of lenovo to have IPS panel as the only (I thing HP has some similar in the professional models at a huge extra cost), as far as I know, maker to include this tecnology in a laptop at reasonable cost. The quality of the screen is amazing even have not  calibrated it at all, so it could be even better but I do not want to spend my life configuring the computer. If I bought sony F11 was in fact for the quality of the screen, just watch a bluray  and you will think that you are watching something in the real life. One of my friends was impressed and told me that it looked like 3d due to the detail reproduced.

There are many reviews online where you can confirm the quality of the panel without being necessary to read a single piece of technical specs.

I hope this  would help you.

Jose/Brighton

mmmfreegoo
Visitor

Many thanks Blencogo and Jose..

Blencogo, I guess seeing as this forum exists on an sony.co.uk domain, I was hoping that there would be a member of Sony that would frequent this board. I guess my complaint is at the vagueness of the descriptions of the monitors..

If like Jose suggests, the premium version of the screen is matte, then aside from tech specs such as brightness etc, this is something that really should be mentioned in the product specifics.

Whenever you buy a monitor for a desktop, the screen tech specs are always detailed to the 'n'th degree.. I don't see why the same rules shouldn't apply to laptop's and their screens.

Thanks Jose for the detailed feedback though :slight_smile:

profile.country.nl_NL.title
discy123
Visitor

So, I asked sony support and this is the answer I got:

........ blablabla .....

4:00 PM Customer:
I'd like to know whether there are coating differences (matte or glossy) between the panels - the types of panel (tn / ips / pva), the manufacturer of the panels (samsung? sony?), reaction times, brightness levels etc..
4:01 PM Ethan - (C3M1):
I understand that you are referring to the display screen type of the LCD screen of the computer; is that correct?
4:02 PM Customer:
yes, of the vaio laptops
[.........]
4:07 PM Ethan - (C3M1):
The only thing which will be changed is the resolution of the computer.
4:08 PM Customer:
really?
4:08 PM Customer:
so what do those checkboxes mean
4:09 PM Customer:
High Contrast, Tough Coating, Wide Viewing Angles, Low Reflection, Ultimate colour saturation, Extreme Brightness
4:10 PM Customer:
Am i right to say that there is no technical difference apart from the resolution? Thus those checkboxes are not of any meaning when comparing these two display types?
4:10 PM Ethan - (C3M1):
Yes, the only changes will be resolution of the computer.
So.. turns out those boxes are all about marketing =/. That sorts it, I guess..

Message was edited by: discy123

Message was edited by: discy123

profile.country.nl_NL.title
joowaal
Visitor

I had the same question and after asking google I came to this forum.

So I called Sony to ask for advice on which screen to use:

The difference is for the VAIO plus screen that it is glossy, more preferred for home use: entertainment, movies, games. The colors look better for this use.

The VAIO premium screen is matte and preferable for office use. The matte reduces the reflection, besides for photo editing the matte screen is very good. The premium is the most expensive Sony has to offer.

Because I wanted to see for myself I visited the local computer store, which had the VAIO premium screen instore. Very beautiful matte screen. I was very impressed by this screen. The store didn't had the plus screen on show.

On many forums there are discussions which is preferable, matte or glossy, so I advice you to look at this before making you desicion and find out what suits you best.

For questions about the F23 serie feel free to ask me, I ordered this model:sony vaio f23s1e (premium screen)