Join now - be part of our community!

RA104 - HOW TO ENABLE 5.1 AUDIO?

phoenix198
Visitor

RA104 - HOW TO ENABLE 5.1 AUDIO?

How do enable 5.1 audio on a Vaio RA104?

I think I have connected the speaker cables correctly - they are colour coded light green yellow and black. I have also set the speaker setup under Advanced Audio Properties to "5.1 surround sound speakers".

However, I am only getting sound from the front two speakers and the individual Subwoofer, Center, Rear and Front volume controls are 'greyed out' and not useable in the Windows sound volume control panel.

Is there an updated RealTek HDA driver with a built-in sound mixer utility?

7 REPLIES 7
feederfan
Visitor

I have a 5.1 on my desktop with my Audigy 2 card, and in windows use you only get 2.1, Its when you play a DVD that you get 5.1. I dont think you can get 5.1 in games without having a Soundblaster Audigy card because you need EAX, and that only comes on Soundblaster cards.

phoenix198
Visitor

Found it! And also found an updated RealTek HDA driver (version 1.13) at the RealTek website (http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlhd-2.aspx?lineid=2004052&famid=2004052&series=2004061&Software...)

This installs a Sound Effect Manager utility in the Windows Control Panel (Classic View) from which you can configure the High Defintion Audio for however many speakers you have, set the front panel outputs/inputs, apply sound environments (pseudo EAX) , etc.

:slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Thanks for the info.

feederfan
Visitor

Be aware that that will only upmix window's stereo output to 5.1 though. Will work for games and dvds better though!

kee-lo_

Upmix (gives a grimice) ewwwwe

phoenix198
Visitor

" ... only upmix windows stereo to 5.1 ... "

I'm getting a little confused here. I thought that the Reatek HDA chipset built in to the RA104's southbridge delivered 7.1 output. I appreciate that it won't deliver EAX effects but does it not have 8 sound channels?

I'm not too worried as its delivering perfectly adequate 5.1 sound for my ears in Half-Life 2 - and fantastic visuals after an upgrade to an X800XT 256MB graphics card!

:smileygrin:

kee-lo_

It does 7.1, my friend has it working on his, and I don't have the room for 8 speakers.