Join now - be part of our community!

Real Player Problem

profile.country.en_GB.title
gyron1
Explorer

Real Player Problem

Hi Gentlemen,
I have a software problem with the Sony Vaio VGN-FE31H Notebook which I bought my wife for Christmas. She has had nothing but trouble with it since I gave it her, feel very sorry for her – Sony of very limited help!
Since purchased had to reload all software from scratch three times ‘cos of total loss of sound capability.
Latest problem is with ‘Real Player’ which she uses to listen to radio whilst working (on computer). ‘Real Player’ capability is lost pretty well every day and has to be restored by going to ‘Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Component Services>Services>Windows Audio’ and restarting the facility – it then works normally until next time it goes off!!
Is there a way to stop the ‘Real Player’ seemingly switching itself off to save all this bother?
Help please.
Kind regards,
Gyron

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Gyron,

Unfortunately this is quite common and has been blamed on many things - usually a Windows Update.

If something keeps turning off Windows Audio, it may be worth going to the services list, right-click on the Windows Audio Service -> Properties -> Recovery, then change the setting to "restart the service" on First Failure, Second Failure, and subsequent failures.

If the service doesn't start automatically on boot, you could create a simple batch file to actively start it. (Try it at the Command Prompt first, to make sure it works).

NET START "Windows Audio"

Type that line into Notepad and save it as Audio.BAT. You can then run this manually at startup or automate it as part of the startup sequence to get your Audio working.

I know none of these is a proper cure - perhaps someone else has some ideas?

:thinking:

davemee
Visitor

To be honest, I'd point the finger at realplayer, one of the most bloated, aggressive and obnoxious pieces of software around.

If you can uninstall it successfully (and good luck, because that thing is deliberatelyu designed to be as difficult as possible to remove, to infect your system all over, and to hook in everywhere it possibly can) try using RealAlternative - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Alternative . Current version is 1.52, either google or download for free from http://www.codecguide.com/download_real.htm

hth!

kee-lo_

I only use RealAlternative.

gyron1
Explorer

Hi Blencogo, davemee & Kee-Lo,

Thank you for your replies, different as they are. I think I am opting for deleting Real Player and going for RealAlternative and give that a try. I see what you mean though davemee about deleting Real Player - even using the Windows 'uninstall' facility you still end up with message saying that ceratian elements of Real Player could not be deleted. Oh well, I will give RealAlternative a go and see whether that is any better.

Thank you all for your replies and aplogies for delay in responding to your help.

Kind regards,
Gyron

gyron1
Explorer

Hi davemee,

Hit a problem trying to download Real Alternative.
When I go to http://www.codecguide.com/download_real.htm I get get diverted to the video player which insists on payment (ie not free). Even when specifically requesting Real_Player I get this divert.

When trying http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Alternative I get a 'page not found' message.

Any ideas please?

Kind regards,

Gyron

kee-lo_
gyron1
Explorer

Hi Kee-Lo,

Thank you web address. Unfortunately, although I get through to the address and find the Real Alternative download, nothing happens. You can see a fairly rapid download and a message saying 'Done' but the application is nowhere to be found.

I do have 'Real Player' still installed. would this have stopped or corrupted the download do you think?

Gyron

kee-lo_

I would uninstall RealPlayer.