Join now - be part of our community!

Recover My Club Vaio

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
skippy82
Visitor

Recover My Club Vaio

Hiya.

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered before.

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-5G1M and after 3 years my Hard Drive failed. I replaced it and installed a copy of Windows 7. Most of my movies, music and documents were already backed up on a external HD so damage was minimal but i've lost all pre-installed Sony products.

Is there anyway i can recover them or at least download My Club Vaio?

Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You seem to be quoting an invalid model type - probably the chassis designation.  The model will be something like VGN-CR11Z and all the available downloads can be found on the support page here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-CR11Z_R

Most preinstalled software cannot be downloaded as the software manufacturer will only license it for use with the Sony OEM Operating System.  Similarly, Vaio programs like Vaio Update will only run with the original OS.

I presume you did not make a set of Recovery DVDs when you first got your Vaio?  This would have made it possible to reinstall the Sony OEM Operating System and the preinstalled software. You could then UPGRADE to Windows 7 and retain all the preinstalled software.

If you did not make Recovery Discs (and strangely many don't) then the only way to recover the original software is to purchase a set of Vista Recovery Discs from Sony Support.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You seem to be quoting an invalid model type - probably the chassis designation.  The model will be something like VGN-CR11Z and all the available downloads can be found on the support page here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-CR11Z_R

Most preinstalled software cannot be downloaded as the software manufacturer will only license it for use with the Sony OEM Operating System.  Similarly, Vaio programs like Vaio Update will only run with the original OS.

I presume you did not make a set of Recovery DVDs when you first got your Vaio?  This would have made it possible to reinstall the Sony OEM Operating System and the preinstalled software. You could then UPGRADE to Windows 7 and retain all the preinstalled software.

If you did not make Recovery Discs (and strangely many don't) then the only way to recover the original software is to purchase a set of Vista Recovery Discs from Sony Support.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
skippy82
Visitor

Thank you for the quick reply.

With regards to the model number i found this on the back of my laptop on a Sony branded sticker that said 'Model PCG-5G1M' and i believe it's one of the 505 Series.

No, i didn't make a set of recovery DVD's. I wrongly assumed that the Sony related software would be linked to my registered Vaio rather than the operating system.

Thanks for the recommendation but now i have Windows 7 installed it's not worth the inconvenience.