Join now - be part of our community!

recovering C:drive ????

meansis
Visitor

recovering C:drive ????

:thinking: pleassssse help, I have lost all my files and datas while using the recovery disk for a vaio GRT800 serie. Can any one help and tell me if ...
1) there is any possibility to recover it at all ?
2) Is there on the market any software that could help?

100000 thanks in advance:smileybeat_up:

6 REPLIES 6
cragnou
Visitor

Hello! The only way I can help you is to ask you if you have been to VAIO-link: there will be a more qualified person to help you. I wish you good luck!

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

1) This has almost certainly destroyed what was residing on the C drive and dependant on the options chosen the D drive as well - recovery would be virtually impossible.

2) Symantec's Norton Ghost is very good for backing up critical data and has a user friendly interface to recover deleted files in a case of emergency.

Woody27
Visitor

I agree with James,

The recovery process will have wiped the data and files on your HDD and then placed the 'fresh install' back on the HDD.

Noton Ghost (or one of the other Symantec tools) is your best hope, but I don't hold out too much hope of you getting your files back! :cry:

The problem is that when the system is re-installed it invariably (Sod's Law) overwrites the part of the disk that was containing your data.

The lesson here is back-up important data as frequently as possible! I'm not meaning to preach, it just saves a lot of heartache!

CW

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You would need a REALLY high grade recovery solution which could cost you £1000's

TygerTyger
Visitor

True, you have to pay money in this area. However for a very low-key sort of half-hearted recovery option, this program is free and actually did wonders on my old computer, recovered virtually everything. However it couldn't find anything at all on my Vaio? No idea why.

What it's really missing from the paid version aside from the effectiveness is the fact it can rarely recover file names, just the actual files. Which means finding one or two things you want is completely impossible, it's all or nothing. Anyway for free I can't knock it at all.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to add that you shouldn't install this program on the partition you want to recover. I'm pretty sure it can recover over a network so although it's slower that's probably the best option.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Thanks TT