Join now - be part of our community!

Recovery disc creation failure

SteveEP
Visitor

Recovery disc creation failure

Hi there,

I recently bought a FW21L. I'm trying to create the recovery disc, but it has failed twice now - I get the error message "error validating disc".

I'm using DL DVD discs, and the problem seems to happen when the first disc is nearing completion - I say this because after clearing the error message, I checked the disc and it was full. A bit frustrating cos it takes the best part of 2 hours to get there!

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? (I know it's bound to be my fault!)

Cheers

Steve

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum,

As far as I am aware Dual Layer DVD disks are not supported for the recovery media disk creation. Try single layer DVD disks...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
SteveEP
Visitor

Cheers Rich,

the programme offers you a choice of using 2 DL DVDs or 3 DVDs, so presumably it does support DLs now? I'll try the single layer DVDs instead and see how that goes.

Thanks

Steve

profile.country.en_IE.title
sonypass33
Visitor

Hi,
It happened to me too.
Try the best quality discs you can get with their own jewel cases for storage/protection
and if you get a minute check the post below

http://club.vaio.sony.ie/clubvaio/ie/en/forum/viewthread?thread=60039

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Cheers Rich,

the programme offers you a choice of using 2 DL DVDs or 3 DVDs, so presumably it does support DLs now? I'll try the single layer DVDs instead and see how that goes.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

Things have obviously moved on in the last 12 months as DL certainly never used to be supported.

As p2p2p suggests, use the best quality disks you can get - preferably SONY....

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
MikeL
Visitor

Just purchased a VGN-NS20Z to replace my trusty VGN-S3HP and also had problems creating recovery DVD's when Sony recovery disc creation programs verify option was switched on (Default and Ticked) I created what I thought to be two DVD coaters, because the program stopped on first of three DVD's with no possibility to continue... :slight_frown:

To cut long story short, switching off the verify enables the user to create all required discs :slight_smile:

Very annoyed with Sony, please update the recovery software ASAP so that we can verify that the data created on each DVD disc is "as expected" so that if/when we need to use these discs in the future they will work! :angry: :angry:

I have added an image to illustrate which option needs to be unticked/unselected.
Hope this helps old and new sony laptop users.