Join now - be part of our community!

Reinstalled Vista, now wireless/Bluetooth wont switch on

profile.country.en_GB.title
nathanco2
Visitor

Reinstalled Vista, now wireless/Bluetooth wont switch on

Hi,

My original HDD in my CR42z/r completely failed so i had to replace it, my Recovery disks were a couple of years old so no good either as Read errors.

I had to download a Vista Home Premium image and unlocked this using my license key on my Vaio and then obtained any Unknown Device drivers from my Vaio product homepage however, my wireless light/Bluetooth wont start.  Device manager advises the drivers are fine, a wireless search advises me that my wireless is not switched on (when it is).  If i reinstall Wireless Utility it advises me its in use and will have to be stopped to uninstall.  The wireless device switch utility shows a tick in 2.4 and/or 5Ghz and Bluetooth enabled yet i cannot install the Bluetooth driver either as it advises its not available.

Searching the net this seems a common problem with Vaios but no magic bullet answer. I have installed the following in order;

Setting Utility Series

Sony Shared Library

Vaio Event Service

Vaio Control Centre (although since uninstalled this as i dont recall it being installed originally)

I have no outstanding Unknown Devices so it seems that in all, the lappie thinks everything is ok except the wireless is switched off.

How have others fixed this as driving me loopy dragging a long lead around with me.

Thanks

Nat

4 REPLIES 4
nathanco2
Visitor

Oooo anyone able to help?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sorry but I can't think of a simple answer.

It seems to me that you need to reinstall the Wireless Switch Setting Utility and the bluetooth drivers from here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-CR42Z_R

What options do you have available in the Wireless Switch Window?  Is the physical Wireless switch turned on and is the wireless light on? Have you tried turning off the WiFi  in the WSSU to see if it works with just bluetooth enabled?  Bluetooth is not compatible with 5GHz,

Are you sure Vista is fully activated - I did not think you could activate a retail version of Vista using the Product Key on the bottom of the Vaio.  It is not a valid activation code.

Sorry, clutching at straws!

:thinking:

nathanco2
Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for trying.

Wireless Utility shows 2.4/5Ghz options and Bluetooth option.  I have turned them all off, all on, combinations but no joy.  Lappie stutters whilst its applying the settings so it does believe its doing something.

No Wireless light

All devices installed

Physical switch is set On

Vista is validated, been downloading Windows updates fine whereas originally it had a countdown timer advising it had 31 days to expiry.

Thanks

Nat

nathanco2
Visitor

Hi,

Anyone else able to advise?

Could someone host their CR42z/r recovery disks so that i may grab a copy from them?  Its poor that there were no hard copies shipped with the laptop originally considering how much the lappie costs.

Thanks

Natalie