Join now - be part of our community!

Replacing the HDD on a Vaio vgn-n21s/w

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
petethefeet1
New

Replacing the HDD on a Vaio vgn-n21s/w

This is a long shot, but does anyone know how to replace the HDD on this old model?

I have found an online reference which indicates which screws need to be removed from the underside of the laptop. I have removed all these, and more, and most of the case will lift away. But there is still one part of the case which appears to be screwed or stuck in place. This is immediately behind the keyboard, just to the left of centre and towards the rear. There are no corresponding screws on the underside of the case at this location so I can't see what's stopping it.

Should I just apply more pressure (I've already applied quite a lot) or am I missing something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hi Petethefeet, found an online disassembly guide for an N series which I hope will help.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hi Petethefeet, found an online disassembly guide for an N series which I hope will help.

profile.country.GB.title
Drewde
Administrator

Just a reminder that disassembling products will void the warranty and should be done at your own risk.

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

@Drewde wrote:

Just a reminder that disassembling products will void the warranty and should be done at your own risk.

LOL @Drewde  Petethefeet1 was asking about replacing a HDD drive in an old N series (N21S/W) which I think was released circa 2007 so I wouldn't expect it to be covered by warranty.

Had it been a newer model I would have added a suitable warning

profile.country.en_GB.title
petethefeet1
New

Thanks Nobody! The guide I had was based on what you had found but missing some vital steps, so I didn't know about having to remove the keyboard in order to find the last retaining screw form the inside (all the other screws are accessible from underneath).

This Vaio had always been a bit of an underperformer, but improved massively as soon as I replaced Vista with Windows 7 (surprise, surprise). Adding a cheapish Crucial SSD and doubling the RAM to 2gb has given it a whole new lease of life.

Thanks again.