Join now - be part of our community!

Restoring System - E-MEM-002 error

profile.country.en_GB.title
john.bramwell
Visitor

Restoring System - E-MEM-002 error

Hi there,

I am tryng to restore my Vaio system, and get error 320 then error 330.

I ran the Hardware Diagnostic test and got the message 'errors were detected E-MEM-002' in the memory access test.

Does anyone know how I can fix this problem, get my operating system re-installed and continue using the computer?

Many thanks

John

Message was edited by: john.bramwell

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi John,

The following link will give an explanation of the error codes you are receiving;

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=C1000995&sliceId=3&mdl=

As you will see if using F10 for the restore then the error codes will possibly be related to either a hard drive or memory problem. Depending on your Vaio model you may have two memory modules, if so try fitting one single module at a time to see whether this narrows down the problem.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
john.bramwell
Visitor

Dear Rich,

Thanks for the quick reply.

The restore was through F10, so it looks like a hard drive or memory problem (thanks for the reference to the error codes).

The reason for the restore was that I was getting frequent memory 'dumps' and problems on start-up. Does that point to memory rather than hard drive?

I also ran the hardware diagnostic on the C and E drive and this seams to be OK.

The model is a VGN CR42 (MEC 34 304 SEDE).

I'm afraid I am not a computer expert, so I haven't ventured into the area of fitting memory modules - is this a challenging expert job, or can a beginner like me cope?

Many thanks for your help.

John

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi John,

Memory dumps can be caused by hardware or software problems and without analysis of the dump file it is impossible to know what is the cause.

Removing and replacing memory is usually a very straightforward procedure as long as antistatic precautions are taken and generally your user manual will give instructions on how to do this.

I believe your model does have two memory slots and you will find these under a panel on the underside of the notebook. If you can provide the exact model number we can point you in the direction of the on-line manual, or click the Support tab at the top of this page, select Online Support and then enter your model - VGN-CR42x/x.

I would check out the memory first as this has thrown up an error. Start by trying each of the existing modules singularly in each of the slots.

Even if you need to purchase two new 2Gb modules this should cost no more than £50.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gaurs21
New

Hi Rich,

i am using Sony Vaio VPCEA16FG model laptop and having the same issue. When i diagnos my laptop it giving me error "E-MEM-002" in my RAM. Please tell me what to do.

Thanks & Regards 

Praveen Kumar