Join now - be part of our community!

RS322 NOISY FAN

hargrep
Visitor

RS322 NOISY FAN

The fan on my PC has suddenly got noisy...from when I switched it on today.

Its about 14 months old.

Anyone any ideas as to how to solve it please!

Thanks,
Hargrep

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

3 screws ?

that are 3 screws to much:smileycool:

hargrep
Visitor

Thanks for all the replies.
I've taken the case off, used air all to no avail.
I think its actually the power supply that is noisy - is there a fan in that?

Hargrep

chris_lewis
Visitor

Hi, Yup there is a bloomin great one in the PS!

You can take the power supply out but its a bit more fiddly, its a weird one too! its got a seperate 12v output for speakers.

It may be a bearing in the fan motor that has gone in which case it wont ever be quiet again!! you may need a new fan but I am not sure if it is a repaceable part.

C.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Not easy to get with Sony

GBS
Visitor

I dont know what stage you have reached so far... but, if you can access the fan, assuming you cant get a replacement, then - use a very small amount of dry (teflon) based lubricant. You will be surprised how many bearings will keep going with this stuff. Outlets include Halfords and outher good bicycle shops. Each time it starts to make a noise a quick squirt should sort it.
If you can replace the fan, so much the better.

kee-lo_

Good point.

GBS
Visitor

Thanks Kee-Lo
I grew up in a country with sanctions, so if something needs bodging to make it go - Im an expert!! But it is bodging!!!
:smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin:

kee-lo_

Wish I knew more about DIY

hargrep
Visitor

I can't say I'm a gret DIYer!

Anyway, if I can't get to the fan and replacements from Sony are not easy to come by, is replacing the whole power supply unit an option? And are these easy to come by?

Many thanks for all the continuing suggestions!

kee-lo_

Again, not easy to get hold of, if you're lucky someone on eBay might have one....