Join now - be part of our community!

S/PDIF (OPTICAL) OUTPUT FROM VGP-PRFE1 MULTI FUNCTION DOCKING STATION AND VGN-FE41E NOTEBOOK

Gruntos
Visitor

S/PDIF (OPTICAL) OUTPUT FROM VGP-PRFE1 MULTI FUNCTION DOCKING STATION AND VGN-FE41E NOTEBOOK

Apologies in advance for the long title and meandering nature of this post.

I have owned my Vaio VGN-FE41E notebook for two years so I thought it was about time for my first post.

The notebook is connected to a VGP-PRFE1 multi function docking station. One of the outputs from the docking station is S/PDIF for optical digital audio output. This output appears to be operational as there is red light being emitted from the port when the notebook is being used and it is listed in the Windows sound devices. Unfortunately, when I connected a toslink cable from the docking station’s S/PDIF output to an AV amplifier I don’t get any sound

Basic diagnostics suggests that the problem doesn’t lie with the amp as this works well with other optical sources and I can still get analogue audio from the notebook. Under the sound options in Windows (Vista Home Premium) the S/PDIF output is listed and I can get the audio directed to that output using the settings in the Media Centre and Windows Media Player and Windows does suggest that sound is being transmitted as the scale against the S/PDIF output is moving.

From trawling the internet I understand that there are issues surrounding the Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC that my machine uses, but these appear to be concentrated around updating to Windows Vista SP1. Having checked the Sony website the most up to date drivers are already installed.

I’m at a loss to know what else to try, so any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please ask if you require more details.

Notebook model:VGN-FE41E
Docking station: VGP-PRFE1
Windows version: Vista Home Premium SP1

0 REPLIES 0