Join now - be part of our community!

SD card reader not working on VAIO laptop model PCG-71313M

SOLVED
julianhoffman
Explorer

SD card reader not working on VAIO laptop model PCG-71313M

All of a sudden the SD card reader on my model PCG-71313M has stopped working, even though the card works fine on a newer VAIO laptop we have. The operating system is Windows 7 and the Ricoh card reader won't show up in either the programme or device searches. I tried downloading the Ricoh reader again. Even though it says it was installed successfully none of the memory cards I've tried will work.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi there

Yes, unfortunately this does sound like a hardware error.

There are three options for you now (depending on if you're still in warranty):

1) Contact Support and have them examine / repair the Vaio. (If out of warranty maybe don't.)

2) Perform a factory reset (Support will probably advise you try this first anyway)

3) Buy a USB SD card reader for under £5 :yahoo: - Thats my favourite option.:smileyhappy:

Not ideal, but it maybe a quick and less expensive option depending on your warranty situation.

View solution in original post

julianhoffman
Explorer

Thanks - your suggestion for option 3 sounds like the way forward!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hi, the fact that you have reinstalled the driver for your card reader and that your SD cards work on another laptop would suggest that this could be an hardware issue.

To help in further identifying the cause you could try a system restore to a point when you remember the card reader working and if the problem still remains then recover your Vaio back to factory settings.

Also just thought I would let you know that PCG-71313M is the chassis number not your model number, I am not sure on what model you have but it could be a VPCEB4L1E or something similar.

julianhoffman
Explorer

Many thanks for the suggestions. I did a systems restore but unfortunately the furthest I can go back is a couple of weeks. The last time I'm certain the card reader worked was about three weeks ago, so the restore didn't resolve the problem. Will look into the factory settings ideas next unless there is anything else I can try.

Now I understand the two separate numbers! Thanks for that. The model then is VPCEB3J1E.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi there

Yes, unfortunately this does sound like a hardware error.

There are three options for you now (depending on if you're still in warranty):

1) Contact Support and have them examine / repair the Vaio. (If out of warranty maybe don't.)

2) Perform a factory reset (Support will probably advise you try this first anyway)

3) Buy a USB SD card reader for under £5 :yahoo: - Thats my favourite option.:smileyhappy:

Not ideal, but it maybe a quick and less expensive option depending on your warranty situation.

julianhoffman
Explorer

Thanks - your suggestion for option 3 sounds like the way forward!

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

No worries :thumbsup:

Its probably the quicker option if you need an instant fix.